PDA

View Full Version : William Henry DAVIES

robertf
03-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Can somebody with access to the 1901 Newport census, find William Henry DAVIES, born c 1852 in Penzance Cornwall, a Shoemaker. He is not listed as being in the family home on census night.

His wife Elizabeth Harriet NORK and their 4 children are listed as living in 'Dandre' Newport. According to the official 1901 Gov site he is listed in the Newport census, but I cannot find him in any of the sites I have access to.

Very grateful for any help.

Robert F. Berry

Pat English
10-09-2007, 4:30 PM
Can somebody with access to the 1901 Newport census, find William Henry DAVIES, born c 1852 in Penzance Cornwall, a Shoemaker. He is not listed as being in the family home on census night.

His wife Elizabeth Harriet NORK and their 4 children are listed as living in 'Dandre' Newport. According to the official 1901 Gov site he is listed in the Newport census, but I cannot find him in any of the sites I have access to.

Very grateful for any help.

Robert F. Berry

In the 1901 Census I found this:

12 Hereford Street, St John’s Maindee, Newport (RG13/4961/17/25)
Head: William H Davies (transcribed by Ancestry as Daoris), married, 49, Shoemaker, Cornwall Penzance (transcribed as Tong Anll!)
Wife: Ellen H Davies (transcribed as Daria), 43, Monmouthshire Newport

I’m not sure what you meant about Elizabeth Harriet Nork (or Davies) and the four children. I tried looking for them in the 1901 Wales census and failed. Maybe that wasn’t where you meant you had found them?

Pat

Wilkes_ml
10-09-2007, 4:56 PM
Yes, I just found the same one, and was wondering if William Henry may have been living with another woman (Elizabeth) as if she was is wife! Had he left his real wife and children. However, William Davies is a very common name in wales, so he could just be another man with the same name.

Pat English
11-09-2007, 7:15 AM
Yes, I just found the same one, and was wondering if William Henry may have been living with another woman (Elizabeth) as if she was is wife! Had he left his real wife and children. However, William Davies is a very common name in wales, so he could just be another man with the same name.

Well his middle initial is the same, he is from Penzance and he is exactly the right age and he is a shoemaker...

I still can't find the Elizabeth you mentioned in the 1901, though, are you sure Ellen H isn't Elizabeth H by a mor fashionable name?

Pat

Wilkes_ml
11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Sorry if I confused you Pat! I was responding to Robert, agreeing that I had found the same entry as you. I may have got the woman's name mixed up when I was typing it! I do agree that it looks as though it is the same William H Davies - born in the right place at the right time with the correct occupation. But were there supposed to be 4 children? Maybe the wife was "visiting" another house with the 4 children and was wrongly enumerated twice! But then you would expect the 4 children to be enumerated twice.:confused:

robertf
17-09-2007, 1:04 PM
To all the people who took the time and trouble to look up WH Davies for me I thank you. I have now found Wm.Henry Davies and Ellen H. in the 1901 census, RG13/4961/17/25, unfortunately it doesn't get me any further in finding out why Wm Henry was not with his wife. She is still listed on RG13/5134/48/11 along with their 4 children, William J., John V., Pheobe A. & Georg T, the latter born c6/1899.

He married Elizabeth Nork in c6/1885 in Newport, so if it is the same Wm. Henry, shoemaker born Cornwall 1852 he lists Ellen H. as his wife and why did he leave his wife about 2 years after his last child?

Wm Henry's parents moved to Newport when he was about 8. I suspect it will have to remain one of life genealogical mysteries.

Again thanks for all the help.

Robertf

Pat English
17-09-2007, 2:23 PM
To all the people who took the time and trouble to look up WH Davies for me I thank you. I have now found Wm.Henry Davies and Ellen H. in the 1901 census, RG13/4961/17/25, unfortunately it doesn't get me any further in finding out why Wm Henry was not with his wife. She is still listed on RG13/5134/48/11 along with their 4 children, William J., John V., Pheobe A. & Georg T, the latter born c6/1899.

He married Elizabeth Nork in c6/1885 in Newport, so if it is the same Wm. Henry, shoemaker born Cornwall 1852 he lists Ellen H. as his wife and why did he leave his wife about 2 years after his last child?

Wm Henry's parents moved to Newport when he was about 8. I suspect it will have to remain one of life genealogical mysteries.

Again thanks for all the help.

Robertf

Now I AM thoroughly confused. Your Elizabeth and the four children are living in Newport Pembrokeshire in 1901, while she and William married in Newport Monmouthshire, on the other side of Wales. As this is the Monmouthshire forum, I thought you were talking about Monmouthshire all the way through.

Does this put the cat among the pigeons, or are you still sure it's the same family?

Pat

robertf
18-09-2007, 4:29 PM
Yes I'm afraid it does, pleading ignorance I didn't know there were 2 Newports in South Wales plus in shows that one should read what is written not what one expects to be there.

I am definately seeking William Henry Davies, shoemaker, born 1852, Cornwall married to Elizabeth Harriet Nork. I have Wm's addresses from 1861 to 1891 census, all St Woolas, Newport, Mons.

At the present time of confusion I cannot confirm if there are any children to this marriage. Perhaps Elizabeth had died and he had remarried this Ellen H. but I cannot find either a death nor a remarriage.

Sorry for all the confusion.

Robertf

Barbara Griffiths
19-09-2007, 9:48 AM
I am definately seeking William Henry Davies, shoemaker, born 1852, Cornwall married to Elizabeth Harriet Nork. I have Wm's addresses from 1861 to 1891 census, all St Woolas, Newport, Mons.

If you are sure it is that William Henry Davies you are looking for, can I ask how you have made the link to the family in Pembrokeshire? Looking at the Pembrokeshire 1901 entry, I notice the eldest son, William J Davies, is aged 10 (and Elizabeth is born Newport, PEM).

So I looked for him in the 1891 census and found what appears to be him and Elizabeth living with her mother-in-law, Anne Davies, at Dandre RG12/4542/43. Elizabeth is recorded as a mariners wife (born Newport, PEM).

In 1881, Anne Davies is by herself at Dandre, RG11/5426/57.

In 1871, there is Anne Davies with her 14 year old son, William, a mariner, at RG10/5538/55 (still Dandre).

On the face of it, they seem totally unrelated to your shoemaker, who appears to have no children and to have remained in St Woollos (although it is easy to be misled when only looking at census entries). Hence my question about how you have made the connection.

Barbara