PDA

View Full Version : Henry Garnett, death details?

harleychick
03-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Please could anyone out there help me with the following details of a Henry Garnett who died on November 3rd 1931, hit by a bus whilst crossing from one tram to another.
He was buried in Ashton on Mersey, and suggestion of which cemetery would be a great help, also any details of accident on local papers or coroners reports.
I do not know whether he was killed in Ashton or Manchester.
Manchester archives only have coroners reports from 1950's onwards, and I was told County records office will probably only have index's for 1931.
Many thanks Sheila (Mid Wales)

Mythology
03-09-2007, 1:24 PM
"I do not know whether he was killed in Ashton or Manchester."

There is only one Henry Garnett in the GRO death index who fits the bill.
1931 December quarter, aged 63, ref. Manchester S., 8d 241
That rules out Ashton for his death, as it is not within Manchester South registration district - but still leaves quite a large area of what might loosely be described as "Manchester" to choose from. See http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/manchester%20south.html for details.
Information on death certificates varies, it might, for instance, not tell you the name of the actual street, but it would certainly give something more precise than just the name of the registration district. As long as he died on the spot and not in a hospital elsewhere that he was whipped off to, that would narrow things down and probably make life easier.

uksearch
03-09-2007, 4:35 PM
Just to add to what has already been stated. This was amongst the various bits and pieces from the MALS catalogue that I carry around.

UK

10. Manchester Coroners Courts

Unfortunately, coroners’ records frequently have been destroyed. This is certainly the case with the records of the coroner of Manchester, where only the only 19th century records to survive are witnesses’ depositions for the dates 22 August 1851 – 24 December 1852, held by us (ref M381 1/1/1 – 2). Greater Manchester County Record Office holds 2oth century coroners’ records, namely indexes 1918 – 1998 and inquests 1958 – 1988. Coroners’ records are closed for 75 years, and permission to see records less than 75 years old would have to be obtained from the Manchester Coroner, and is given only in exceptional circumstances.

In the absence of coroners’ records, a report of any inquest conducted by the coroner for the city of Manchester might be found in local newspapers. We hold a scrapbook of newspaper cuttings for the period 1900 – 1938 (M381/2), mostly concerned with coroners’ cases. It is not clear how complete the scrapbook is and, in the absence of an index, would not search this item on your behalf.

harleychick
04-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Thankyou very much folks.
It looks like he died in Manchester, a big help in putting together his story.
there is a report in a Witney (Oxfordshire) newspaper with some details, as he used to have a business there, but it does not state what area it happened.
I will send for the death cert. and go from there.
Many thanks
Sheila.

uksearch
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
If he was buried in a church yard, then possibly St Martins. If he was buried in a municipal cemetery then possibly Brooklands.

UK

harleychick
06-09-2007, 7:41 AM
Thankyou for that.
Some of his family are buried in Southern cemetery, but Henry was not on their records, so I will try and check records for Brooklands, and St. Martins. I believe Henry made some very interesting friends in the scientific world, so it would be interesting to know who exactly attended his funeral. He was a pharmacutical chemist who once was analyst for a famous soap manufacturer, amongst other business interests.
Many thanks folks for your help.
Regards Sheila.