PDA

View Full Version : Baptism look up

jojo2909
01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Hello again :)

I was wondering if you could look up another baptism for me please? The thing is, i'm not sure what civil parish it comes under.

I am looking for the baptism of a Catherine Glanvil (Glanvill, Glanville) born 1829 in Camborne (Cambourne) Cornwall. Her father was John Glanville, a miner but i'm not sure what her mother's name was. Can you help at all?

suedent
01-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Jojo information on Church records for Camborne appear on the Genuki site

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Camborne/index.html#ChurchRecords

I've just taken a quick look and I can't see Catherine though there are other Glanvilles, it's possible that she was baptized in a nearby parish. Sometimes families would return to the home parish of one of the parents to have their child baptized. It's also possible that she was baptized as a Wesleyan or Bible Christian rather than Cof E.

suedent
01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I have had a look at the 1841 and 1851 censuses but the only Catherine Glanville with that approximate birthdate was the daughter of Thomas and Grace.
The only other Catherine born in Camborne in the 1851 census was born c.1838 daughter of Johnson and Maria.

MarkJ
01-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Hello again :)

I was wondering if you could look up another baptism for me please? The thing is, i'm not sure what civil parish it comes under.

I am looking for the baptism of a Catherine Glanvil (Glanvill, Glanville) born 1829 in Camborne (Cambourne) Cornwall. Her father was John Glanville, a miner but i'm not sure what her mother's name was. Can you help at all?

Camborne comes under Redruth District. It is Camborne without the U (it is a corruption of the word
"kammbron" which means twisted hill in Cornish, rather than the English word Bourne)

I had a look through the 1841 census for Camborne and couldn't find a Catherine Glanvil or other derivation of the surname apart from one where the Household head was a Thomas Glanvil (or similar spelling - I can't recall now).
I looked at a transcription of the baptisms for Camborne between 1825 and 1836 and found no sign of a Catherine. It may be mistranscribed of course or, possibly more likely, they could have been Methodists. Methodism was very popular in that area of Cornwall (and many others too) - John Wesley preached at Gwennap, near Camborne many times.

Do you have anything else which may help to track Catherine down?

Mark

jojo2909
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi

Many thanks for the replies. I'm really at a loss with this person |banghead| As suedent says i've looked Catherine up in the 1841 census and there's two people it could possibly be (I know where she is on the 1851 census). I have her marriage cerificate which says that her father was John Glanvil, a miner. I just wish I could find out who her mother was!

suedent
02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
There is a possibility that she was adopted by John Granville and that she was actually baptised with a different surname. My husband's family had a case where one lady gave her stepfather as her father when she married & it threw me off track for quite a while. It took quite a bit of digging to find out the truth.

alanjohn
29-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi jojo,
I dont know if this is any use,but my missus side of the family came from Camborne,and the early baptism's/marriage's were in TUCKINGMILL,just outside of Camborne,it might be worth a look!
Alan.

alanjohn
29-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Well,on IGI there's a John Glanville born about 1795 in Rosewarne(part of Camborne).
It list's his spouse as Alice Dunstone,and the marriage is 16 Sept 1820.
As i said my missus family frequented tuckingmill church,and i know they lived at Rosewarne as well.Hmmm.
What do you think.
I'm just off to see if i can find Catherine.

alanjohn
29-01-2008, 11:24 PM
found allace and john in 1841,no catherine though,darn!

alanjohn
29-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Are you sure about the birthdate?
In 1841 there's a Johnson Glanville apparently born about 1806,he has a daughter Catharine Glanvill,but she's aged 4.(B.1837.)

jojo2909
30-01-2008, 8:52 AM
Hi,
Thanks again for the replies. Alanjohn - thanks for doing some research for me but i'm pretty sure about the birthdate of Catherine and have come across the people you have found too. The thing is she could be any of these people because names were changed and years of birth weren't always accurate either. I don't think i'll ever find out who her mother was!!