PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Dredge's!

traceykbd
01-09-2007, 4:02 PM
|help|I am currently trying to research my husbands family.

His dad's side of the family have the surname Dredge. As far as I am aware, the family came from Dilton Marsh, Westbury, Wiltshire.

I know there are many Dredge's in Wiltshire but it's a matter of finding the right ones! :confused:

I am interested in a Bertram Dredge who married a Kate Jewell (?) who came from Weymouth. I do not have any dates although I should imagine they were both born around 1900 (approx).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tracey

Anna
22-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi Tracey

There is a Bert Dredge on 1901 Census living at Bermerton (difficult to decipher - could be Bermeston) Wiltshire b. 1898 at Fordingbridge, Hampshire son of Walter (Coach painter) who was born Downton, Wiltshire and wife Agnes born East Knowle, Wiltshire. RG13/1957/6/4

birdlip
22-09-2007, 1:54 PM
Hi there,

Bert from Bemerton is the only one I could find too. Here he is on freeBMD births, Dec Qu 1897;

Dredge Bert Fordingbridge 2b 281

regards birdlip

birdlip
22-09-2007, 2:35 PM
...and here's the marriage, from the Ancestry registers;

December Quarter 1922.
Dredge Bertram Jewell Kingsbridge 5b 483

If you order this certificate, you'll be able to find out if he's the same Bert that Anna and I found, it will give the name and occupation of the grooms father, and the brides, amongst other things. Let us know if you need any more help with this.

regards birdlip

p.s. Kingsbridge Registration District is in Devon, which perhaps isn't what you were expecting. It would have to be the right couple though, maybe they were working down there?

traceykbd
23-09-2007, 3:53 PM
Thanks very much!

Bert Dredge is indeed a relation!

I have since been in touch with other members of the family and have loads of info to look into.

I didn't realise that Bert had married someone from Kingsbridge until I had looked at the BMD records. Turns out my mother in law had known this but hadn't thought to tell me. Great! |doh|

All a bit bizarre really as I live in Devon as well.

By the way, Bemerton is a small village near Salisbury in Wiltshire.

Thanks for all your help. |cheers|

Tracey

Anna
23-09-2007, 4:32 PM
You're welcome Tracey, glad to be of help. :)

birdlip
24-09-2007, 1:11 AM
Ditto! Or, in familyhistoryspeak "do"

By the way, Kate Jewell seems to have been born on the Isle of Wight, presumably the family moved to Weymouth afterwards, then Kingsbridge. Or was Weymouth a red herring? You probably have the 1901 entry for her, and her birth ref from freebmd, if not let me know. Good luck!

regards birdlip