PDA

View Full Version : How to get a copy of a will

carolp
28-08-2007, 9:20 PM
Hi,

I understand you can get a copy of a will, the only stipualtion being the person has to be dead!! Is there any time limit as to how long the person had to have been dead?, and where do you write to, to get a copy please?

Also, I am interested in a will of a relative of mine, but have recently found out that the couple made a joint will, something I didn't realise you could do. One partner died in 1995, and the other is still alive, does that mean that I couldn't get a copy of the will, because one member is still alive?

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Carol

Peter Goodey
28-08-2007, 9:50 PM
This tells you how to get a copy
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm#calendarskept

You send your money to York.

As I understand it, probate would be granted twice in the case of a joint will so if probate has been granted in respect of one testator, you should be able to get hold of a copy.

frogfan
18-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Hope this helps - It comes from the HM Courts guide to obtaining a copy of a will and grant of Admon

Postal Searches and Copies Department:
Information and Conditions of Service
Applicable dates and records held: The Postal Searches and Copies Department has indexes relating to all Probate
records for the whole of England and Wales from 11 January 1858 up to the present day. You may apply for a copy of
any proved Will, as well as a copy of the Grant of Representation. The Grant will tell you who were the Executors or
Administrators (those appointed to gather in and distribute the estate). It may also tell you the name of the Solicitor
acting for them (if any) and the value of the estate, although usually only in very broad terms. The fi nancial summary
shown on the Grant is unfortunately the only information relating to the estate that the Probate record contains. No
inventory or estate accounts are available. Occasionally, further details are available from the Capital Taxes Offi ce, but
you will normally need the written consent of the executors or administrators. Please note that, if Probate has not
been granted, the Probate Service will have no record of the estate and will therefore not be able to provide
copies of any document relating to it.
If the death was recent, it may be that Probate has not yet been cleared. The Probate procedure itself normally takes
some weeks, and there may have been a considerable further delay before the application for Probate was made.
Consequently, it may be advisable to wait two or three months after the date of death before having a search made, in
order to allow time for the Probate process to be completed.

Geoffers
19-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I understand you can get a copy of a will, the only stipualtion being the person has to be dead!!

Probate must also have been granted.

Is there any time limit as to how long the person had to have been dead?

No

Also, I am interested in a will of a relative of mine, but have recently found out that the couple made a joint will, something I didn't realise you could do. One partner died in 1995, and the other is still alive, does that mean that I couldn't get a copy of the will, because one member is still alive?

Joint wills, by their nature usually specifiy that the surviving partner inherits the majority of the joint estate. Once one partner dies, the survivor is then at liberty to change his/her will.