PDA

View Full Version : Handling smilies

Ladkyis
28-08-2007, 8:13 PM
um, I still have half a page of smilies falling off the edge of my screen|sad1|. The last time I mentioned this we spent two days talking about avatars so please excuse me for dragging it up again. I can see 1 and 2 and a bit of 3; I can see 4,6,7,9,10, 12, 13 and that's it. I know the others are there because I can see just the tiniest little bit of the edges of them but it ain't clickable.

I can use the list of smilies by clicking on the icon at the top but I hate that it is sooooo untidy!

Rod Neep
28-08-2007, 8:56 PM
um, I still have half a page of smilies falling off the edge of my screen|sad1|. The last time I mentioned this we spent two days talking about avatars so please excuse me for dragging it up again. I can see 1 and 2 and a bit of 3; I can see 4,6,7,9,10, 12, 13 and that's it. I know the others are there because I can see just the tiniest little bit of the edges of them but it ain't clickable.

I can use the list of smilies by clicking on the icon at the top but I hate that it is sooooo untidy!

When composing a message, the first FEW smilies are visible on screen.
If you are seeing parts of the ones at the right, then its simply because your viewing window is too small (make it full screen)...
OR... you are viewing your screen at a very low resolution.
To cure that, minimise all open windows and
1. right click on your desktop
2. click on "properties"
3. click on the "settings" tab
4. with your mouse, move the slider to 1024x768
5. click "apply"
the screen will go blank for a moment... and then...
6. "Do you want to keep these settings"... click YES

Now your screen will be at the higher resolution of 1024x768. Text may seem small to you at first, but you will get used to it!

The [more] link opens up a new window with ALL of the available smilies.
That little window may be too small, but you can grab the bottom right corner of it with your mouse and expand it.

Rod

Mike_E
28-08-2007, 9:18 PM
The [more] link opens up a new window with ALL of the available smilies.

What more link? can you post an image? I can see 14 available smilies, I'm guessing this is all you can see, but if you want others you need to reference them on another site?

P.S - feeling stupid now, and I'm an Exchange, SharePoint and Lotus Notes Administrator.

Pam Downes
28-08-2007, 9:56 PM
What more link? can you post an image? I can see 14 available smilies, I'm guessing this is all you can see, but if you want others you need to reference them on another site?

P.S - feeling stupid now, and I'm an Exchange, SharePoint and Lotus Notes Administrator.
Tut tut, Mike. Even Dimbo me can see the 'more' link.
When you click on 'reply/quote/new thread' you get the smilies on the right of your screen. And underneath the 'banghead' one there's the word[More] and if you click on it you get - more! :D
Pam

Mythology
28-08-2007, 10:28 PM
The bit in Ann's message that puzzles me is... "I know the others are there because I can see just the tiniest little bit of the edges of them but it ain't clickable."
I use 800x600. Yes, the third column is off screen - but one click on the scroll bar at the bottom of my screen brings them into view.

Edit...
... and because of the width of the left-hand margin, when this is done, the whole of the message box is still visible. I don't lose the left hand bit of that when I've shunted over to the right, so it's not one of those irritating things where you have to keep going left and right all the time.

Mike_E
28-08-2007, 10:58 PM
I see:-

Title Logged in as Mike_E

Then:-
Post icons
12 icons

Submit reply - preview post

where is More? screen grab it and post it, because it ain't there for me.

hope this works - just signed up to upload a picture.
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x119/K1200Rider/?action=view&current=postreply.jpg

Pam Downes
28-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Post icons
12 icons

Sorry Mike, dimbo ain't clever enough to do a screen grab.
When you click on either 'new thread' 'reply' or 'quote' do you not get some smilies on the right-hand side of your screen?
Between 'message' and the actual message box you should have a black A and a blue A crossed through in red, then a box with Verdana in it and a 'drop-down to change the font, and another box for the size of the font, then a choice of print colours, plus a few more bits, and underneath that there's options for bold, italic, and underlining; and left, centre, or right 'centreing', plus some more stuff. That's all in a grey box which surrounds the message box at varying depths, and which extends over to the right where you find the smilies.
Sorry, not very helpful I know.
Pam |dunce2|

Edited to add: Just seen your addition re your screengrab. The bad news is you're missing a bit :), namely the grey box I was trying to describe surrounding the message box. The good news is that I'm sure Rod will see your cry for help and be able to make you normal like everyone else. :D

Peter Goodey
28-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Mike
Have you found a way to get rid of those smileys? Please share it!

MarkJ
28-08-2007, 11:31 PM

Post icons
12 icons

hope this works - just signed up to upload a picture.
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x119/K1200Rider/?action=view&current=postreply.jpg

You need to scroll right down to the very bottom of the page Mike. Bottom left is a box called Posting Rules. In there is Smilies - click that and you will see the normal smiley selection plus the More linky :)

Rod Neep
29-08-2007, 12:25 AM
There are two ways to see ALL of the smilies

1. On the right hand side of the message entry screen by clicking [More]

2. On the drop down smile icon, scroll down and at the bottom "Show all smilies"

http://www.british-genealogy.com/graphics/smiliescreen1.jpg

get2BJ
29-08-2007, 2:05 AM
Looking at the image you placed on PhotoBucket, I think you must only have the basic editor enabled - go to User CP, select Edit Options from the left panel, scroll to the very bottom of the page to the Miscellaneous Options panel, open the drop down box and select Enhanced Interface. Save the changes before exiting this page.

Brenda

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1196/1262124473_8a758c9627.jpg

Mike_E
29-08-2007, 7:48 AM
And there we have it. It was a setting on the Editor, and not me not seeing anything.

Thanks Rod.|jumphappy

Pam Downes
29-08-2007, 8:05 AM
And there we have it. It was a setting on the Editor, and not me not seeing anything.

Thanks Rod.|jumphappy

Crikey. Talk about how many men does it take to change a light bulb! How many of us did that take. :D Though I have to point out, Mike, that if your problems were solved by reading the message about the 'Basic editor' option, it was actually Brenda who said that, not Rod.
Pam

Mike_E
29-08-2007, 1:35 PM
it was actually Brenda who said that, not Rod.
Pam

Typical, it's always the bloody women who are right, never us poor lowlife blokes |help| .

At the end of the day, I'm a happy little chappie,
and this is for Brenda |hug|

Yup! I know where we stand in the scheme of things |bowdown||bowdown|

Ladkyis
29-08-2007, 2:04 PM
Now here's the thing, I like to keep my favourites list open down the side of my screen - I know, I know but I just do ok?
If I don't have it open then the smilies fit next to the message box and everything is just lovely. If I do have it open then the smilies fall off the edge of the box - not the edge of the screen. It's like the frame that has the smilies doesn't reduce in size to fit my available screen - I hate that!

I have only just come to terms with only looking at 4 screens at a time so having to take the favourite's list off too is just not good|computer|

MarkJ
29-08-2007, 2:04 PM
Looking at the image you placed on PhotoBucket, I think you must only have the basic editor enabled - go to User CP, select Edit Options from the left panel, scroll to the very bottom of the page to the Miscellaneous Options panel, open the drop down box and select Enhanced Interface. Save the changes before exiting this page.

Brenda

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1196/1262124473_8a758c9627.jpg

Or, if like me you prefer not to use the enhanced interface, you can get the smileys from the bottom left of the message page - you need to scroll right to the bottom after clicking reply - and there is a box marked Posting Rules. In there is Smilies - click that and the basic smileys show, then scroll past those to the bottom and you get the More link or, if lucky, they will already be displayed :)

Mark

busyglen
29-08-2007, 5:21 PM
Wow Mark, I didn't realise that! Not that I have any problems, but it's nice to see them en-bloc, rather than in two hits. Thanks! :)

Sorry, posted it out of sequence, hope it makes sense!

Glen

Pam Downes
29-08-2007, 7:37 PM
Now here's the thing, I like to keep my favourites list open down the side of my screen - I know, I know but I just do ok?
Ooh, I thought everyone did that, cos I do. :)
And I still have room for all the 'basic' smilies at the side of the message box. I don't know if the size of the monitor screen makes a difference (though I know from what Rod said that the resolution does). My screen measures 12 and three-quarter inches in a horizontal line from left to right, and the favourites column takes up 2 and one-quarter inch. (Just don't ask what my resolution is because I have not got a clue!)
Pam

get2BJ
29-08-2007, 9:46 PM
At the end of the day, I'm a happy little chappie,
and this is for Brenda |hug|

Yup! I know where we stand in the scheme of things |bowdown||bowdown|

Hmm... okay, grovelling accepted. ;)

Brenda

sandiep
29-08-2007, 10:43 PM
|jumphappy

testing|wave| sandie

wow yipee never managed this before

Mythology
30-08-2007, 12:51 AM
"My screen measures 12 and three-quarter inches in a horizontal line from left to right"

Hmm... well, I don't know what to make of that, very difficult to work out anything based on such limited information, Pam...
... what's the measurement from right to left? ;) :D

MarkJ
30-08-2007, 1:00 AM
"My screen measures 12 and three-quarter inches in a horizontal line from left to right"

Hmm... well, I don't know what to make of that, very difficult to work out anything based on such limited information, Pam...

Ah - that screen splatter moment! :D
Myth, you need to issue warnings if you are posting something like that! Stella Artois is very expensive you know!

Mark

Pam Downes
30-08-2007, 7:45 AM

From right to left it's 32 and a half centimetres. If you measure in a horizontal line. :p

You all know I'm a dimbo at this computer stuff, which means that I'm not 100% sure how you 'measure' a computer screen. I think it's diagonally (but I don't know if that's from top left to bottom right, or top right to bottom left) but felt assured that (if it is diagonally) there would be at least one person on the list intelligent enough to be able to work out the correct screen size.
However, I now think that you might also need the vertical measurements as well. If so, top left to bottom left the screen is nine and five-twelths inches. Bottom right to top right the ruler starts at two and nine-sixteenths inches and finishes at 12 inches. I hope this helps. :D
Pam

Mythology
30-08-2007, 9:18 AM
"I think it's diagonally". Yes, just like a telly.

You have to watch out for things like widescreen laptops, but a normal computer screen is a 4 to 3 ratio, so you can do it from just one measurement - Pythagorus, or the "builder's triangle" (3-4-5), but...

... there are slight complications in that (a) the "as advertised" figure will almost certainly be rounded, and (b) the old CRT monitors (looks like a telly) and the modern LCD flat-screen monitors are measured differently. A "15 inch" (12x9) LCD monitor will have a larger visible screen than a "15 inch" CRT monitor, because the LCD ones are given by the visible size, whereas the CRT ones include the bit of the tube that you can't see because it's covered up by the frame.

Yours is *about* 16 inches, which sound far too generous to be a 15 inch screen, they seem to be around 15.1 or 15.2 at most, and 16 inch ones are rare - I expect someone made one somewhere along the line, but personally I don't recall ever seeing a 16 inch monitor advertised - so I would guess that what you have is a "17 inch" CRT one.

Ladkyis
30-08-2007, 11:22 AM
wot I need here is a smilie with it's head :confused: whizzing round cos that was just too much information - |laugh1|

Copper
30-08-2007, 12:10 PM

Phew I am glad that I am not the only one to do this. My other half thinks I am mad to keep my favourites list pinned to the left.