PDA

View Full Version : Maunder / Thompson / Ballantine of Shap.

zilkens
27-08-2007, 3:50 PM
Are there any Maunder families out there who's ancestor was George
Peter Maunder. He moved up from Cornwall somewhere around 1900 and lived in Shap, later moving to Settle in Yorkshire. His niece Mabel was born in Keld, Shap, 10th. September 1903,and married James Thompson of Shap Abbey, 11th. June 1930.
Mabel Thompson died 31st. August 1995 at " Oakroyd" Main St., Shap.
Mabel's mother was Eliza Jane Ballantine (Maunder) died 6th. March 1962 aged 94. Her husband was Francis Burton Ballantine of Rosgill, Shap.
James and Mabel farmed at Brackenber Farm, Shap.
Any information on any of these people would be greatly appreciated.
Ken.

IreneR
01-09-2007, 7:37 AM
Have a Joseph Maunder from Plymouth Devon who nicked over to Launceston Cornwall to marry his wife Elizabeth Crocker in 1817.

Always wondered how he met her as I was told people didnt travel that far from home back then so Maunders in Cornwall would explain it if he visiting family etc.

Let me know if you find any back around then.

zilkens
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi IreneR,
Thanks for your comments.My Peter George, his sister Eliza Jane and her daughter Alberta (my grandmother ),must have moved from St. Neot in Cornwall to Shap in what was then Westmorland sometime around 1900.
Peter George was a quarryman in Cornwall so he obviously moved north because of the quarrying at Shap. How he knew of the work can only be guessed at, was it just taking a chance or was it advertised say by word of mouth, or by an advertising campaign by the quarry owners ?
Why Eliza Jane moved up is again only guess work but she was a "bit of a girl", having already had Alberta by no named father, she then had another daughter Mabel in Shap again by no named father. She eventually married Francis Burton Ballantine at Shap in 1910 at the age of 42. Her "escapades" couldn't have done her much harm as she lived to the good old age of 94.
My grandmother Alberta next turns up in the West Riding of Yorkshire as house keeper then husband (1918) of my grandfather Richard Staveley in Dent. But then starts another story or 6
Ken.

suedent
30-12-2007, 3:10 AM
Hi Ken,
was your Peter G Maunder the son of John Maunder?
I am related to John's first wife Elizabeth Ann Wilton, I think that John re-married, to Jemima

I can help with the Wilton side of things is if you need any help.