PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new on here - just wanted to say hello!

Wilkes_ml
23-08-2007, 7:58 PM
Hi,

I couldn't find an introductions section, so if is in the wrong place, then please move.

Though I'm new to this forum, I'm not new to family history - I started about 15 years ago and have made a lot of progress. I still have a few annoying elusive ancestors, which are driving me mad! I don't get much time to travel to record offices at the moment as I have 2 young children, both with disabilities. So my main aim now is to try to write up as much as I can into interesting family histories, instead of just lists of names and dates! I've read some very interesting threads whilst waiting to be given access to post! I look forward to communicating with you - and I must say it is the most user friendly family history forum I've come across so far!

Michelle

Geoffers
23-08-2007, 8:22 PM
I look forward to communicating with you - and I must say it is the most user friendly family history forum I've come across so far!

I have to agree, these forums are much better than the lists used by so many - the advantage here is that most of us are quite nosy (well I am) and end up looking at threads for counties where we may not normally have an interest. The experience and expertise of many helpful subscribers has made these forums feel like a community.

Good luck

Geoffers

Wilkes_ml
23-08-2007, 8:24 PM
Thanks.

My first project is to write about Runaway Wives! Usually it is thought that the husbands desert or have second families, but I have several examples of women who appear to leave their husbands and set up home with a new "husband". Some had good reason, but it does make it harder to find them!!!

MarkJ
23-08-2007, 8:28 PM
Thanks.

My first project is to write about Runaway Wives! Usually it is thought that the husbands desert or have second families, but I have several examples of women who appear to leave their husbands and set up home with a new "husband". Some had good reason, but it does make it harder to find them!!!

Oooh! I have one of those! Well - not literally (I keep attempting to lose her, but she keeps coming back ;) ), but one of my ancestors did come home from work to discover his common law wife had departed with the child. But he was a bit of a rogue anyway - previously convicted of bigamy years before ...

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Mark

Wilkes_ml
23-08-2007, 8:51 PM
My most interesting example only came to light through sheer luck. An Australian "cousin" contacted me as his ancestor has given her father's surname on a certificate. The surname is very uncommon and I'm trying to attempt a one name study. What was strange was that her marriage date in England in 1854 to her supposed "husband" was correct - but she had left that correct husband behind in England!! Her second "husband" died and she went on to another "husband". Not surprisingly, my cousin could not find a marriage! Her real husband didn't die until shortly after the death of her third partner. I confirmed that she was the same woman, as it was her nephew (who I knew had emigrated to Australia in 1871) who registered the death of her second "husband"! Her nephew was only a nipper at the time of her real marriage, so he may have been totally unaware! I do think it was a bit extreme to move around the world to get away from a husband she didn't want to be with!!!!

As far as I know, she was the first of the family to go to Australia, but I haven't found out if she went alone.

Michelle

AnnB
24-08-2007, 6:53 AM
I have to agree, these forums are much better than the lists used by so many - the advantage here is that most of us are quite nosy (well I am) and end up looking at threads for counties where we may not normally have an interest. The experience and expertise of many helpful subscribers has made these forums feel like a community.

I have to agree with Geoffers - I think being nosy is an essential trait for a family historian ;)

So, welcome Michelle, and good hunting

Best wishes
Ann