PDA

View Full Version : Trenerry family in New York

MarkJ
23-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Hiya,
I believe that one of my great grandfathers brothers - William John Trenerry - together with his wife, Emily, emigrated to the USA in 1909.
There is a record of them travelling on the SS St Paul from Southampton and arriving in New York in October 1909.
Nosing around the US records, there is a 1930 US Federal Census record for a William Trenerry, with a spouse called Edith, living in Queens,New York, who was born about 1884 - which all seems to tie in with what I know about William John.
There is also a death recorded in April 1968 which may well be the man I am after.

I would love to know if the 1930 census lists any family members for William.
Even better, if any descendants are still living in the USA!

Thanks in advance for any information

Cheers,
Mark

Sue Mackay
05-09-2007, 1:36 PM
May not be the same William as the one married to Edith arrived in US in 1906

1930 census:
William Trenerry
Home Owner
Value of Home 15,000
Owned radio
Male
White
46 last birthday
Married
Age at first marriage 25
Attended school or college since 1929: No
Able to read and write: Yes
Place of birth: England
Father's Place of Birth: England
Mother's Place of Birth: England
Language spoken before coming the US: English
Year of Immigration: 1906
Naturalisation: Na
Able to speak English: Yes
Industry: Garage
Whether at work yesterday: No
If not, no. on unemployment schedule: 31
Veteran of US military forces: No

Edith Trenerry
Female
White
44 last birthday
Married
Age at first marriage 23
Attended school or college since 1929: No
Able to read and write: Yes
Place of birth: England
Father's Place of Birth: England
Mother's Place of Birth: England
Language spoken before coming the US: English
Year of Immigration: 1909
Naturalisation: Na
Able to speak English: Yes

No children listed but they had a 17 year old girl with them as a boarder

Edit: I suppose he could have gone over in 1906 and then returned to fetch his girl?

Sue Mackay
05-09-2007, 1:56 PM
Aha! Might be right after all.

He and Edith appear on the 1910 census and he is a groom (logical I suppose to move from horses and carriages to cars)

BUT, on the 1920 New York census he is actually down as William J Trenerry. Still no children, so looks as if they never had any. Still down as 1906 and 1909 for entry to US. This time William described as chauffeur for Colgate!

MarkJ
05-09-2007, 3:14 PM
Many thanks for that Sue - it does look as if it is the right William. I will see if I can track down any earlier movements for William to the USA, but the passenger list appears to claim they are both from Great Britain. However, there is some data put onto the list between William and Edith Emily which says -
2-367716 - 1/11/35

Not sure what that means.

Your idea about the return to collect his young lady is promising. They married 21st August 1909 and went to the USA, sailing September and arriving at New York 2nd October 1909.
Perhaps William had gone to the USA with his employer - he was listed as a Butler at the time of the marriage - liked it and returned to pick up his sweetheart, marry and return to the USA?

There is a USA SSDI for a William which seems to fit the bill -
William Trenerry Birth 02 Jan 1884 Death April 1968 Last residence 44718 (Canton, Stark,OH) SSN 102-03-6634 Issued New York.

I know very little about William, other than his position in my tree and a mention of him in a document relating to a will of his Uncle.
Many of his siblings also went to the States, mainly to the other side - California mostly. There is one - John - who was my gg grandfather, who left Cornwall and his wife and children to work and appears to have remarried over there! Not exactly sure why, but there is certainly evidence that his Cornwall based wife had two more children after Johns departure and those two are not listed on the will mentioned whilst other children are! Whether John simply failed to return and applied the 7 year rule to his marriage I don't know. I have plenty of theories on it, but it is all very much ideas rather than obvious from the facts.

Cheers,
Mark

Sue Mackay
05-09-2007, 4:18 PM
Proof positive that this is your William John Trenerry. I have found a copy of his WW1 draft card which gives his dob as 2 June 1883 and his occupation as chauffeur for A.S.Colgate. Next of kin given as Edith Emily Trenerry, Southampton, Suffolk, NY. Some of it is a bit faint but if you want a copy PM me with your e-mail

Sue Mackay
05-09-2007, 4:24 PM
Proof positive that this is your William John Trenerry. I have found a copy of his WW1 draft card which gives his dob as 2 June 1883 and his occupation as chauffeur for A.S.Colgate. Next of kin given as Edith Emily Trenerry, Southampton, Suffolk, NY. Some of it is a bit faint but if you want a copy PM me with your e-mail

Curiouser and curiouser. Have just looked at WW2 draft card for William John Trenerry which gives his dob as Feb 2 1884, birthplace Cornwall. Next of kin Edith. Obviously didn't quite know when his birthday was :D

Sue Mackay
05-09-2007, 4:44 PM
Me again. William J Trenerry (22) sailed on a ship called 'New York' from Southampton April 14 1906 and arriving New York 24 April. Have also found William and Edith Emily on board 'St.Paul' in 1909, which I presume you already have, but I notice that they were travelling to join a Miss Trenerry in Russa Valley, Cubert. I presume the numbers after William's name might refer to the paperwork for his earlier entry to the US?

Edit: Oops sorry, that was the contact in country from whence they came. I presume Cubert is in Cornwall?

MarkJ
05-09-2007, 6:10 PM
Fantastic Sue :)
It does look like William went to the States then returned for his girl.

Cubert is indeed in Cornwall, the entry on the passenger list seems to identify a Miss Trenerry (which one of them that is I now need to work out!) as a contact. A number of the family were in the Cubert area - certainly nephew Thomas James Trenerry (my great grandfather) lived there as did a couple of the others. To be honest, I am not quite sure where Russa Valley is - but each hill and dale has its own address here! I will be looking into that.
Presumably he was drafted because he was "naturalised" in the USA by then? Surprising that it didn't take very long - even based on his 1906 original entry it wasn't very long was it?

I will contact you via PM - I would love a copy of the draft, many thanks for your kind offer Sue.

Mark