PDA

View Full Version : Birth cert. details where father was in the US Army.

SteveR
23-08-2007, 7:52 AM
Does anyone know what a typical entry on an English birth certificate looks like where the father's occupation is US Army?

Any real examples of entries would be great.

I'm interested to know how much information was typically given. IE. Just "US Army" or might some have the regiment details or other pertinent information that could be used to identify the father from other lists.

I'm trying to build a picture of what was typical for birth certificates of children born during or soon after WWII to American fathers with English sweethearts and how much information about the father could be obtained in this way.

Many thanks...

ET in the USA
25-08-2007, 1:17 AM
This is only a guess, but if the Father & Mother were not married and the mother was registering the birth, I would image that it didn't matter if the father was in the Army (US or UK) or was a blacksmith, his name could not be added without his written consent, or him being present at the registration. Wasn't there a recent thread asking if the name of the unmarried father could be put on a birth cert. without his written consent and did it make a difference if he died before the child was born? I seem to remember that the general opinion was that it didn't matter that a marriage MIGHT have taken place IF he had lived. What mattered is that they weren't married and he didn't consent to being named.

I have a birth cert. from 1847 where the parents were married, father was active Army and child was born in Barracks. They do look different from the standard ones, but I don't think seeing how they are different will help you. If I'm wrong, let me know.

SteveR
28-08-2007, 7:45 AM
I was hoping that someone who was born in England during or just after WWII, and who had a father serving in the US army, might be able to let me know what the occupation read like from their birth certificate. IE does it even state US army and if it does, does it show any regiment details?

Peter Goodey
28-08-2007, 8:02 AM
As ET has pointed out, the first question is whether the father's name is even included!

If it is shown, I don't believe there have ever been any hard and fast rules about how an occupation should be presented.

Mythology
28-08-2007, 9:14 AM
"the first question is whether the father's name is even included!"

A bit modern for me really, but the only one of these that I've seen does not - it's just the same as any other cert for an illegitimate child where the father didn't go along to the register office with mother. In this instance, mother is still alive, knows *exactly* who the father was, and doesn't have sealed lips, so there's no mystery, but for all you'd know from the *certificate* it might have been the butcher, the baker or the candlestick maker.