PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Forum

dianastill
28-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the information. I'm new to Forums and family history research. I have a distant ancestor from near Thetford and have extracted as much information as I can from 1871 to 1901 censuses, so welcome any addtional information as to where to go next.

Geoffers
28-02-2005, 3:39 PM
Thanks for the information. I'm new to Forums and family history research. I have a distant ancestor from near Thetford and have extracted as much information as I can from 1871 to 1901 censuses, so welcome any addtional information as to where to go next.
Welcome to the Norfolk forums - there are several peple who are happy to make suggestions as to where to look for information, and who might be able to look up records available to them.

What would be best is if you could start a new thread with your interests. This is quite simple, the more so once you've done it a few times. We can then respond directly to that message.

With a forum open, look over to the left, just above the list of threads and click on 'New Thread'. Add a title, something with the surname you are researching (in capitals helps), followed by a place and year is all that is needed.

Then add some information as to where your research has taken you. If you can give us names, years and places that helps. If you're stuck - just ask - you'll see my name all over the Norfolk forums (you should see it as you're reading this, it's near a rather odd photo near the top), simply click on the underlined name and from the menu select 'private messaging' - type in where/how/with what you are having difficulty and send; I'll reply when I next book on.

Geoffers
Moderator, Norfolk forums

Geoffers
04-01-2006, 9:14 PM
It's the time of year when many new researchers seem to appear online. To all of you with Norfolk dumplings for ancestors, welcome! There's lots of information on the internet to help you get started in researching a family history. I'd recommend that you first of all take time to look through the Norfolk Record Office (NRO) web-site http://archives.norfolk.gov.uk/nroindex.htm if completely new to research, the NRO has several guides which you can print off to read over a cuppa, see http://archives.norfolk.gov.uk/nroleaflets.htm and start with leaflet number 8.

Start by buying an A4 notebook and write in there all the information you can find from family, copy in entries from certificates. With each entry, note when you got the information and from whom - who holds the certificates you just looked at. Progress methodically, work backwards in time - from the known to the unknown. I've posted loads of web-site URLs on the main Norfolk forum to help you.

If you have a question, please ask - there's lots of us who would be only too happy to try and help.

Good luck
Geoffers

Geoffers
17-01-2006, 9:00 PM
As with many hobbies, family history has its own 'language' and abbreviations. You become familiar with many of these with time and use; but just to get you going with your Norfolk family history; here are a few:

NRO - Norfolk Record Office
NFHS - Norfolk Family History Society (this used to be known as the Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society and have the abbrevition NNGS)
Mid Norfolk FHS - Mid Norfolk Family Hisotry Society
NRS - Norfolk Record Society

TNA - The National Archives
SoG - Society of Genealogists
GRO - General Register Office
RG - Registrar General
PCC - Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Prob - Probate
Admon - Letters of Administration

continued......

Geoffers
17-01-2006, 9:07 PM
HO - Home Office
RG - Registrar General

S, unm - single, unmarried
mar, married
wid - widowed

Y - in 1841 census, used to indicate someone was born in the county
N - in 1841 census, used to indicate someone was not born in the county

F.S. - in 1841 census, female servant
M.S. - in 1841 census, male servant

ag.lab - agricultural labourer
serv, servt - servant
dom - domestic
ap, app - apprentice
J - Journeyman

continued.......

Geoffers
17-01-2006, 9:19 PM
PR - Parish Register
AT - Archdeacon's Transcript - annual copy of the register
BT - Bishop's Transcript - annual copy of the register, but given to the Bishop.

MI - Monumental Inscription
sm - singleman
sw - singlewoman
wid - widow, widower
otp - of this parish
X - did not sign register
wit - witness
Lic - licence

MB Marriage Bond
cmb - christening, marriage, burial

There are other terms and abbreviations; but too many to begin with may be just confuse. So I'll leave it here for now and just say that if you get stuck, ask.