PDA

View Full Version : 1891 Census - Estall

Phyl Stewart
21-11-2004, 11:27 PM
I am looking for these young men in 1891. I have looked on Ancestry but cannot find them, so am hoping that someone with another version may be able to help.

Charles Gladstone Estall, born 1863, Weybridge, Surrey

George Estall, born 1866, Shoreham, Sussex

Edward Alfred Estall, born 1868, Camberwell, London

Frederick Wiliam Estall, b 1870, Camberwell, London.

Thanks for your help.

Phil
30-11-2004, 7:43 PM
Hi

Have you found any on 1901 Census? I have come across Edward Alfred Estall on BMD married 1892 March Camberwell Vol 1d Page 883. Do you think this is one of them?

Regards

Phil

Phyl Stewart
30-11-2004, 8:06 PM
Thanks for your help.

We know where the lads were in 1901, but I had missed that marriage entry. Adds another leaf to the tree.

Regards

Phyl

Pam Downes
01-12-2004, 1:20 AM
Hi Phyl,

First of all, we all have the same version of Ancestry that you have so we're all going to have the same problem as you. :)

I notice that you made no mention of where everyone was in 1881 - which is the census most people start with as it's the easiest to access. So I thought I'd have a look - only to find that, apart from Charles, I can't find them on the 1881. Have you found them on the 1881? And if so, what are the references? The idea being that you look at the original pages and see how the surname is written and then think how else it could be transcribed. Then look for the 'alternative' name on the 1891. Also if they're in the same place in 1881 and 1901 then there's a fair chance that they will be there in 1891.

However, I would suggest that you look for the family on the 1871. Look for one of the children - just type in the name, no other details. When you get the image for that page, look on the previous page for the parents. Then look for the parents on the 1881. Type in just the names, age based on the 1871, plus/minus 5 years. Not conclusive, but very interesting.
The parents marriage is on FreeBMD (June 1852) so I would suggest that you send for it (only specify the groom's name) then look for the children on the 1881 with the mother's parents.
I would also send for the birth cert of one of the children on the 1881 listed with Tom G on the 1881 to see what that says, as I wouldn't have thought that there would be that many Toms with Gladstone as a second name.

Pam Downes

Phyl Stewart
01-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Pam

Thanks for this. I had tried some of your suggestions, but you've given me a few more hints to go on.

Phyl

LisaE
09-06-2005, 5:33 PM
Hi Phil:

I see that you were looking for "Estall" are these family members? I am an Estall by marriage, my husband is from the London area. Estall isn't a common name.write back.

Lisa

a3000
04-04-2006, 8:55 AM
Our family background has Alfreds James & Marcus as family names. They were ship owners or shipwrights who settled in Tahiti. They may have traded around the pacific.

Ken Boyce
04-04-2006, 7:26 PM
Hi Phyl

One major problem is that very few of us who have access to alternative online or offline indexed census databanks have the capability to do a multiple county search

For example the 1881 LDS transcription CDs advanced search feature (not available online) is searched region by region (unless one has loaded the regional files of interest to a HD and manipulated the operating system) and most online indexes search by census year and one given Civil Registration County

I noticed that the ages of the four lads in 1891 are between 21 and 29 yrs so I searched my 1891 London surname index for ESTALL age 25+/-5 and returned some 18 males and females one male fits the age and South London location

Edward age 23 enumerated at Lambeth Church Second RG12/393 Folio 164

I then tried the same with EST* and returned some 79 persons of which only Edward matched

I then tried both on the Surrey 1891 incomplete index which returned zilch (I am not aware of any complete index for Surrey 1891)

Regards

Ken Boyce
06-04-2006, 4:19 AM
Hi Phyl

Pottering around in the 1881 I came across this

Dwelling: 6 Myrther Ter
Census Place: Chiswick, Middlesex, England
Source: FHL Film 1341328 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1351 Folio 107 Page 18
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
William KNOWLES M 29 M Hammersmith, Middlesex, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Stone Mason