PDA

View Full Version : Jewish records

Angelaj
20-08-2007, 6:28 PM
Hi,
I'm tracing two Jewish families, the Silverstones and the Edlers, who were in Stepney, Shoreditch and Spittalfields from the 1840s or 50s. Which synagogues would have served these areas? How would you go about trying to trace country of origin if not known?

browntoa
20-08-2007, 7:52 PM
Jewish Congregations of the East End of London

Angelaj
21-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Browntoa,
Thanks for your help.

Angelaj

sandiep
21-08-2007, 8:06 PM
Jacob Silverstone jewish name Aharon Jacob father Michael from Bridgton married a Sarah Phillips who lived Fishmongers alley Southwark June 5th 1822 from Hambro synagogue.........

I looked at Great Synagogue for 1791 - 1850 and Bevis Marks I have records for 1837-1901 but no edlers or silverstones

sandie

just looked at great synagogue for afrter 1850 and just one silverstone

an Esther in1853 married an Nathan Berwin

Angelaj
22-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Sandiep,
Not mine unfortunately, but thanks for looking.

Angela

browntoa
22-08-2007, 11:45 AM
from my experience of the older Jewish Records most are only accessable with the written permission of Board of Deputies of British Jews, even if held by other archives like the London Metropolitan

sandiep
22-08-2007, 7:57 PM
http://
british-jewry.org.uk/

give the people at this site a try, they have loads of records and a lot of expertise

good luck, I have found it takes lots of patience chasing Jewish ancestors, but sometimes you get lucky

good luck sandie

rcity
02-05-2008, 2:42 PM
Jacob Silverstone jewish name Aharon Jacob father Michael from Bridgton married a Sarah Phillips who lived Fishmongers alley Southwark June 5th 1822 from Hambro synagogue.........

I looked at Great Synagogue for 1791 - 1850 and Bevis Marks I have records for 1837-1901 but no edlers or silverstones

sandie

just looked at great synagogue for afrter 1850 and just one silverstone

an Esther in1853 married an Nathan Berwin

Sandiep when you say you looked at Great Synagogue 1791-1850 how did you do that ? I would like some information on DAVID EMANUEL whose name appears on the marriage details of his son LEWIS EMANUEL who married 4th August 1819 RACHEL HENDRIKS (daughter of Abraham Hendriks). I know they had connections with the Great Synagogue but have no access to those records.

Also what does 2985 Gittela wife of Leib b David EMANUEL = Kitty wife of Lewis Emanuel mean exactly? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ladkyis
02-05-2008, 3:22 PM
The only information about DAvid EMANUEL in the Great Synagogue Marroage Registers 1791 - 1850 by Angela Shire is that he was the father of Lewis EMANUEL.

The entry transcription says that Lewis EMANUEL was a Privd (priviledged) member of the Great Synagogue and his Hebrew name was Yehuda Leib he married

I am not sure what the number refers to but I would say that Gittela wife of Leib is the hebrew names of Lewis and his wife.

I am careful here not to say that Gittela is the hebrew name of Rachel because this is something that you will need to confirm with marriage bonds and stuff.

sandiep
02-05-2008, 8:04 PM
rcity hi

http://
british-jewry.org.uk/ this site has great synagogue records free to search........they ar found in what they call their members database but you dont have to join to look at them..........in their venue databases they have lots of records it really is a fantastic resource for Jewish records

sandie

rcity
06-05-2008, 8:39 AM
Dear Ladkyis and Sandiep - thank you for taking the time to rpely. Much appreciated. I thought I was at the end of the line but it seems I need to gain a little more understanding into how the Jewish records were kept. Thanks again

Robert

gerrynuk
19-09-2009, 10:18 AM
<<< Jacob Silverstone jewish name Aharon Jacob father Michael from Bridgton married a Sarah Phillips who lived Fishmongers alley Southwark June 5th 1822 from Hambro synagogue.........

sandie >>>

Hi Sandie,

I am trying to track down my Silverstone ancestors. My great-grandmother was Ellen Silverstone who was born in London about 1835 and then emigrated to Cincinnati with her father and siblings (not certain about her mother). They appear in the 1850 US Census and it seems that her father was Jacob Silverstone, born in Poland about 1788. She married Henry Jacobs in either Cincinnati or Kentucky about 1852-54, had two children (Hannah and Morris Henry) in the US and then came back to the UK. It seems likely that two other members of the family married and remained in the US.

Is there any link to your Jacob Silverstone, do you think?

Best wishes,

Gerry

phillip
19-09-2009, 10:47 AM
For those researchers looking for the Jacobs/Silverstone connections this is to confirm the further family links to the Jacobs glass manufacturers/glass dealers/china dealers and wider trades which have been posted on this site over several years as part of the Jacobs/Letson/Litzen distant cousins website.
These family links also relate to ' The Turnpike Levy' distant relatives and numerous other families.
Phillip

sandiep
22-09-2009, 8:27 PM
sorry Gerry.............I havent any Silversyones in my tree I was just looking up some info for Angelaj who started this thread

sandie