PDA

View Full Version : Occupations

BeeE586
18-08-2007, 5:04 PM
I have been reviewing the 1851 census for my Bratley line and came across one Philip Bratley who was a castrater (ugh !!), and Jane, a 58 year old widow who was a Slop Maker.

The first I understand but please, what was a Slop Maker ?

Eileen

MarkJ
18-08-2007, 5:07 PM
I have been reviewing the 1851 census for my Bratley line and came across one Philip Bratley who was a castrater (ugh !!), and Jane, a 58 year old widow who was a Slop Maker.

The first I understand but please, what was a Slop Maker ?

Eileen

Must resist the urge to make jokey comment about the wifes cooking...... :D

Apparently, Slop was a term for clothing - a basic rough jacket or other clothing according to the interwebby. Often issued to sailors it says.
I learn something new every day - never heard the phrase before, I was expecting it to be brewing related.

Mark

Toronto
18-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I thought pig food was called slop. So perhaps he made pig food, A lot of cafe food waste was collected in Manchester during the war to make Pig slop.

They use to Castrate pigs when they were babys.

Cheers
Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

BeeE586
18-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Thank you both. I seem to have heard - probably in 'Hornblower' - that sailors kept their gear in a slop chest, so a rough jacket maker would fit.

In my part of the world discarded food collected for pigs was pigswill. When I lived in Blackpool before the war we always had a swillbin whch was collected twice a week and every so often we were rewarded with a leg of pork. In the summer you could smell the cart from three streets away.

Eileen

MarkJ
19-08-2007, 12:21 AM
The references to Slop Maker and clothing seem to be mostly related to seaside areas - so if your connection was at Blackpool it would fit.

Mark

busyglen
19-08-2007, 9:41 AM
In my part of the world discarded food collected for pigs was pigswill. When I lived in Blackpool before the war we always had a swillbin whch was collected twice a week and every so often we were rewarded with a leg of pork. In the summer you could smell the cart from three streets away.

Eileen

In our part of the world also Eileen. We had a small holding near us and the farmer used to go around all of the houses and shops collecting pigswill. As you say.....you could smell it from a long way off. He often used to talk to me as a child as I loved patting his horse, and I hated standing near him as he smelt as bad!!

Glenys

Michael Duke
19-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Even today in the Royal Navy the clothing store is still referred to as 'Slops',

best regards Pilgrim

BeeE586
20-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Actually, Blackpool was a sort of 'blip' family wise. We were there from 1928 to 1942 but with absolutely no other connection with Lancashire. The Bratley's were firmly established in north Lincolnshire from the 16th century although they have spread a bit since then.

Eileen

Interesting to know that 'slop' is still a naval term - I wonder what is the origin !

MarkJ
20-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Actually, Blackpool was a sort of 'blip' family wise. We were there from 1928 to 1942 but with absolutely no other connection with Lancashire. The Bratley's were firmly established in north Lincolnshire from the 16th century although they have spread a bit since then.

Eileen

Interesting to know that 'slop' is still a naval term - I wonder what is the origin !

Apparently derived from a Middle English term - sloppe.

Defined here -

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/s/s0480200.html

Cheers,
Mark