PDA

View Full Version : Is this a dead end?

keojerifra
17-08-2007, 5:22 PM
Have located someone in the 1901 census. She is age 4 living in an orphanage called St Edwards School in Totteridge. There is one Mary O'Hara that is an orphan in the census in the correct age range.

Her Place of Birth has an "N" in that space.

There are 11 people with that exact name and age in the FreeBMD index.

Even if all these birth certificates were obtained, without knowing the birth place of the Mary at St. Andrews, there is no way to know which of these 11 people s the right one.

Questions:
Did institutions as a matter of course, list all persons in their institution with a birth place of "N" in the census?
Or, did this only occur for people whose birth place was truly unknown?
Are there archives for these institutions that contain more information than appears in the census particularly birth place and maybe even parentage?

Thank you

Jeri

uksearch
17-08-2007, 6:46 PM
SNIP

Questions:
Did institutions as a matter of course, list all persons in their institution with a birth place of "N" in the census?
Are there archives for these institutions that contain more information than appears in the census particularly birth place and maybe even parentage?

Thank you

JeriI can't help you other that to state that the entry for "Where Born" was "N K", stood for Not Known.

UK

keojerifra
17-08-2007, 7:41 PM
I can't help you other that to state that the entry for "Where Born" was "N K", stood for Not Known.

UK

That is what I was afraid of.

I have found a site that lists an index to Institutions found in the 1901 Census of England and Wales.

The table of information contains information about how to locate institution in the census.

But the list contains descriptive material that may or may not be helpful in finding relevant institution archives....if they exit.

For example the one I am looking for is:
St. Edwards, A Catholic School for Poor Children Conducted by the Daughters of the Cross, in Totteridge.

Thank you
Jeri

uksearch
17-08-2007, 7:57 PM
Ah, in this case I would contact the local Catholic Protection and Welfare Society. They should have some records.

UK

Wirral
17-08-2007, 8:51 PM
I've just had a look at the census & I think this is an example of laziness in whoever filled in the census form. Because all the pupils, & some of the maidservants, have N.K. (not known) entered as their place of birth. |scold| Not even a county, never mind a town. :(

However, it is quite possible that there are admission records held by the church. Also, there may be school attendance records.

keojerifra
30-08-2007, 1:35 AM
Thank you all for your help. It would be so nice to find more.

I hope so

Jeri

v.wells
22-09-2007, 4:44 PM
Have located someone in the 1901 census. She is age 4 living in an orphanage called St Edwards School in Totteridge. There is one Mary O'Hara that is an orphan in the census in the correct age range.

Her Place of Birth has an "N" in that space.

There are 11 people with that exact name and age in the FreeBMD index.

Even if all these birth certificates were obtained, without knowing the birth place of the Mary at St. Andrews, there is no way to know which of these 11 people s the right one.

Questions:

Thank you

Jeri

Here is 1 site that may be of help. It list all the institutions eg, orphanages, workhouses with the names of inhabitants:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jeffery.knaggs/Instuts.html#0652

good luck
Vanessa