PDA

View Full Version : Sir Charles Lilley - A Famous Son

GeoffD
14-08-2007, 9:02 PM
I live in the Federal electorate of Lilley, an ancestor of a cousin's wife was father-in-law to Sir Charles, and a school friend of mine won the Lilley Medal in 1959, so I decided to do a little bit of research on the person. What an interesting man!

Born in 1827, the son of a shoemaker and grandson of the "keeper of the castle" in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, he obtained his legal qualifications and migrated, after a little bit of mischief, to Queensland where he became a barrister, was Premier of the colony for a couple of years, and then held the position of Chief Justice. Quite a radical man, he introduced free education and was an advocate of the enfranchisement of women. His father in law, Joshua Jeays, was an alderman of the first Council of the Municipality of Brisbane and later Lord Mayor.

I wonder whether a similar entry in Leicestershire forum would be appropriate for Joshua Jeays?

Grandmother
16-01-2008, 9:05 PM
[QUOTE=GeoffD; Researching the CROW family of which I am a direct descendant.Sir Charles Lilley and I share a common ancestor-Benjamin Crow(e) born about 1744 and his wife Agnes Smith. Sir Charles is descended from their daughter Jane and I from Jane's brother William Halliday Crow. The blood line was very diluted by the time it came to me in 1935 of course but I was born in Gateshead, Durham, England just across the water from Sir Charle's birthplace. I came to Australia 39 years ago and live in a place called Thornton,NSW, Australia. Small world isn't it? Best wishes.P.S. I have just joined these forums after seeing your listing.