PDA

View Full Version : Navy record

rainbird
13-08-2007, 9:18 AM
I have a copy of my ggg grandfathers naval records from 1880. On them it states under 'wounds scars or marks' that he wore 'bracelets on each wrist'. Would this have been purely decorative?

He was pensioned off in 1879 when he was only 40. Under remarks it says something like fracids (?) 15-10-79. I assume the date is when he applied for the pension but any idea what 'fracids' means?

busyglen
13-08-2007, 1:11 PM
I don't know about the 1880's but I `believe' that anything that could identify a man, was put into this section. Quite possibly they meant something to him and he wore them under his uniform. My father who was in the Royal Marines, had a tattoo on one arm and this was noted under the `wounds scars or marks' section.

I can't make anything out of `fracids'......is there any way that you could post a copy here for us to look at?

Glenys

rainbird
13-08-2007, 1:46 PM
Thanks Glenys. I have no idea what the bracelets are and even thought they might have been part of the uniform!

I will see if I can get a copy of the image online and put a link in. That depends a lot on whether our scanner is still working, it can be a bit temperamental! I'll see if there's any other way of doing it though.

busyglen
13-08-2007, 5:14 PM
I think I have found out what it is! I looked at the Navy record of my husbands gt. grandfather, and at the end of service, under remarks, it says `Traced Pens.' and the date. I think this means that the Pension details were traced, and the date noted.

If the writing is bad....the F could be a T and then you have the RAC (i) ED.

I could be wrong, but I have also noticed this on other Navy records as well.

Glenys

rainbird
14-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Aha- that must be it! The writing there is v small and hard to read. Thank you!

busyglen
14-08-2007, 10:57 AM
No problem.....pleased to help. :)

Glenys

ChristineR
14-08-2007, 1:04 PM
I thought the bracelets would have been tattoos around the wrists - my grandad had one (also RN) and I took it as part of the description of his tattoos.

ChristineR

rainbird
14-08-2007, 3:32 PM
I did think it a little odd that he'd be wearing jewellry on a ship. Tattoos make more sense!

ChristineR
20-08-2007, 5:42 AM
Just thought that I would look up my grand dad's record again about the bracelet. However, it was in his WW1 army enlistment that the description was found - not his navy record - but the word was related to his tattoos in the distinctive marks/scars section.

Tattoo:
Right arm - (then a comprehensive description of several on this arm )
Left forearm - flower & bracelet

Christine

busyglen
20-08-2007, 8:52 AM
Aha! That explains it then. :)

Glenys