PDA

View Full Version : Breckin(?) (placename)

kesimmonds
12-08-2007, 9:44 AM
I've found a relative in the England census of 1871 whose place of birth is given as "Breckin".
Try as I may, I cannot place this town, has anyone else heard of it, or a possible 'sounds similar'?

busyglen
12-08-2007, 10:29 AM
There's a Brechin in Angus.....don't know if that helps?

Glenys

kesimmonds
12-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks Glenys, looks a possibility. I'll poke around in the census's with that in mind

busyglen
12-08-2007, 5:47 PM
Thanks Glenys, looks a possibility. I'll poke around in the census's with that in mind

Hope you strike lucky!

Glenys

kesimmonds
13-08-2007, 6:25 AM
I *might* have done?
My maps of Scotland aren't very good, so maybe you'd be so kind as to help some more.
I've found a James Hunter, tobacconist, but this time his place of birth is given as Briche, Forfar. Looking at Wikipedia, this looks to be around the same area as Brechin, Angus. Am I correct in assuming Briche and Brechin are close to each other, or one is contained within the other?
I shan't be here for the next couple of days to see your reply, so no hurry on this one.
Regards
Keith

busyglen
13-08-2007, 8:39 AM
Keith, I am no expert on Scotland, and live at the extreme `other end' of Great Britain.
But.....having looked at Brechin, Angus and Forfar on a map, they are virtually `next door'. However, I can't find Briche mentioned anywhere. I thought it might be another mis-transcription, but as you appear to have found it, obviously not. I've done a Google search for Briche, and also put it in a map search of Scotland, but can't find it. Hopefully someone who actually knows Scotland, may be able to help.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if I come across anything else, I will let you know.

Glenys.

Wirral
13-08-2007, 9:39 AM
It is Brechin. The family are there in the 1841 census.

Anderson's Closs [Close], Brechin, Angus, Scotland
William Hunter, 60, Tailor, Scotland
Margret Hunter, 30, Angus
William Hunter, 15, Ap Tobacconist, Angus
James Hunter, 10, Ap Tobacconist, Angus
Robert Hunter, 8, Angus
Elisabeth Hunter, 5, Angus
Skene Hunter, 3, Angus

Forfar is the county town of Angus. The county was also known as Forfarshire.
My Dad was from Forfar.

busyglen
13-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Well done (Wirral)! I knew someone else would know....I haven't a clue really about Scotland, and Brechin was just a guess. :)

Glenys

kesimmonds
15-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks very much Wirral, that's much appreciated. Later, James and his wife Jane and/or Jean moved down to Cumbria. His daughter Elizabeth (not the one above) later moved to Preston, Lancs, and married my great grandfather William Edmondson.
All very nicely tied together, thanks to both of you.

Keith