PDA

View Full Version : loveridge

april
06-08-2007, 6:14 AM
I am trying to trace my great grandfathers birth records I can only find him on the following census forms 1881-1891-1901 he was born in Ledbury Herefordshire I have a marriage certificate but it shows no fathers name for him ,can anyone help or avise me where to try next
Thanks april |banghead|

Peter Goodey
06-08-2007, 6:50 AM
Were you going to mention his full name and approximate birth date?

Geoffers
06-08-2007, 9:08 AM
It could be that he as illegitimate - it may be that his birth was not registered in which case you may need to refer to parish records in the hope that he was baptised. He may appear in workhouse records - but as Peter has mentioned, a bit more detail would help others to give you more specific advice.

Geoffers

april
07-08-2007, 4:36 PM
I am sorry that I forgot to include my great grandfathers name =David Loveridge silly mistake to have made once again sorry .
April |blush|

Peter Goodey
07-08-2007, 6:45 PM
Are there any clues from the marriage cert? Witnesses? Age?

Bearing in mind that the surname he used could be genealogically misleading, there are a few things you could do -

As Geoffers says, consider parish registers and poor law records. Also look carefully at any unattached Davids who might fit the bill in earlier censuses.

A GRO 3-year search shouldn't be ruled out - that aren't that many births of Davids registered in Ledbury in the right timescale.

Peter Goodey
08-08-2007, 5:10 PM
A GRO 3-year search shouldn't be ruled out - that aren't that many births of Davids registered in Ledbury in the right timescale.
On second thoughts, I don't think that would come within the terms of what GRO offer. You would have to order lots of 'em with reference checks. Definitely something to put on hold until you're really desperate ;)