PDA

View Full Version : Looking for records - 149 Battery, Royal Field Artillery, Bulford Barracks, Wilts.

cguil_uk
05-08-2007, 6:21 PM
Looking for Corporal Thomas LEE, 149 Battery, Royal Field Artillery, Bulford Barracks, Bulford, Wiltshire, England.

I have him living here (with his wife Mary Anne Lee nee Philbin) at the birth of his son Frederick George Lee on 3rd Oct 1905.

Please advise

Regards

Clive

Peter Goodey
05-08-2007, 6:45 PM
It depends what you want to find out.

Choose the appropriate research guide (under "British Army") from -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp

cguil_uk
06-08-2007, 8:47 AM
It depends what you want to find out.

[/url]

Thanks Peter

I am looking for the records of Corporal Thomas LEE, 149 Battery, Royal Field Artillery, Bulford Barracks, Bulford, Wiltshire, England circa 1905.

I am a bit confused because, apparently, 149 battery was formed in 1915.

I have looked in the link you sent and have had little luck finding him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoffers
06-08-2007, 8:58 AM
You won't find him specifically at the link given by Peter - it is a list of research guides telling you how to find records relating to members of the British army. The documents to which they refer are held at The National Archives, Kew. You either have to go and seaech yourself, have a friend who can do it for you, or employ a researcher.

Have you checked for other British army births to your chap? Although not easy with frequently occurring surnames such as LEE, You may be able to pick up some locations where he served using the index.

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
06-08-2007, 9:46 AM
When was he discharged? You can usually come up with an approximate date from the family's BMD certificates.

As Geoffers has said, the research guides are to help you to find him. For example if he was discharged between 1900 and 1913, you could look for his discharge papers in WO 97/4232 - WO 97/6322.

Then if you look at the catalogue you can work out where Thomas LEE would be filed which looks to me as if it should be WO 97/5329. Providing you have some supporting identification details (there may be more than one Thomas LEE there), you could try ordering copies of the documents through Shop Online.

That was just an example - I don't know all the details for your man. You also need to bear in mind the chunk of misfiled papers.

Forrest Anderson
07-08-2007, 11:20 PM
I am looking for the records of Corporal Thomas LEE, 149 Battery, Royal Field Artillery, Bulford Barracks, Bulford, Wiltshire, England circa 1905.

I am a bit confused because, apparently, 149 battery was formed in 1915.

In 1905 149th (Howitzer) Battery was part of 50th (Howitzer) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, along with 56th (Howitzer), 150th (Howitzer), and 151st (Howitzer) Batteries. The Brigade had been formed in 1900, and 149th Battery was disbanded in 1913. The Brigade was finally broken up in 1916.

50th Brigade was certainly based at Bulford two years later in 1907, so your certificate seems to be in order.

Forrest