PDA

View Full Version : switched ISP

royston
01-08-2007, 1:54 PM
I have recently changed my ISP, from Orange(wanadoo) to Bt.
Every time I open Windows I get Windows Installer box up and then another for Norton Anti Virus saying that it does not support the repair to Norton, please uninstall and reinstall. Any ideas what this is about. I have to cancell both before BT broadband will open.
One other thing I seem to still be able to access my e mails with Orange. Is this normal ?.
Thanks Roy

MarkJ
01-08-2007, 4:15 PM
I have recently changed my ISP, from Orange(wanadoo) to Bt.
Every time I open Windows I get Windows Installer box up and then another for Norton Anti Virus saying that it does not support the repair to Norton, please uninstall and reinstall. Any ideas what this is about. I have to cancell both before BT broadband will open.
One other thing I seem to still be able to access my e mails with Orange. Is this normal ?.
Thanks Roy

On the mail front - yes, you often find you can still access mail for a while after changing providers. I wouldn't rely on it remaining accessible for any length of time though - so it is a good idea to collect anything you wish to keep before you lose access. The ISPs seem to have a wide range of policies on this - some allow you to access for ages, some cut you off straight away. You will probably find you cannot send mail via the Orange account, but receiving seems to work for now.

On the AV program - did you have Norton AV installed prior to changing? Was it provided by Orange? Did your new BT account come with Norton?
If you have the Norton CD, it may be worth attempting a repair (or removing and re-installing it). It sounds as if you have possibly got two conflicting versions on your system - Norton (and other AV programs) often tend to play up if you have them installed twice - which may be the problem.

Mark

royston
01-08-2007, 7:41 PM
Hello Mark, Thansk for your reply.
Yes, you are correct. I can access the e mails at Orange but not reply to them
My basic Norton was supplied with my pc by Dell. I have failed to find Norton on the instal disc they supplied. There seems to be another version on BT and you are probably correct about the confliction of versions. Still at a loss how to cure same.
Thanks again, Roy

MarkJ
01-08-2007, 7:54 PM
Hi Roy,
It does, as you say, sound like a double install of Norton AV.
If you have a cd from BT, then the best thing is to uninstall Norton - the Windows Add/Remove programs menu in the Control Panel would ( or should!) allow you to uninstall it. Once no Norton remains, then use the BT supplied version (if you have one) to put it on as if it is new.
Norton is quite well known for being "difficult" to remove - especially if you want to install a new version or other AV program, so you may find it still stuck there :( If that happens, the best option is to locate a friendly "geek" who can remove it - probably via more complex methods which are described on the web if they need any pointers.
Make sure you have a copy of Norton before attempting to remove it though - otherwise you may end up having to cough up for a new version at a shop :( I am not sure what BT supply on that side of things.

Edit: Found the Symantec tool for doing this exact job -
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

relatively easy instructions, but if in doubt, I would ask a friend to assist.

Mark

royston
02-08-2007, 2:09 PM
Thanks Mark,
I will try to do the uninstall etc.
I am very grateful for your help, Roy

MarkJ
02-08-2007, 3:14 PM
No problem. As always, I would advise making a backup of any important data - just in case. I can't see any likelihood of problems, but a backup is good insurance anyway.

Mark