PDA

View Full Version : James Wright of Mobberley

Pixgazza
01-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Please could someone lookup a James Wright of Mobberley in the 1891 Census. He was possibly resident at the Wrights Arms in Mobberley though it has also been called The Church Inn, Church House and Bulls Head in its time.

Many Thanks

Gareth

blue eyes
01-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Civil parish Mobberely, reg dist Altrinham, sub reg dist Wilmslow

Class RG12
Piece 2820
Folio 117

address (looks like) Wright ---- though dosnt look like Arms on census image

Patrick (transcribed by Ancestry as Samuel) head age 55 farmer born Mobberely
Ann wife age 53 born Mobberely
Samuel son age 19 farmers son born Plumbley
Emma E dau age 12 born Plumbley
James son age 10 born Plumbley
Richard son age 8 born Mobberely
Albert A son age 3 born Mobberely

Julie

Pixgazza
01-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Many thanks but I'm not sure this is the one. This James Wright was born in Pendleton, Salford. He worked at Mobberley Mill as a Dyer and in the 1881 Census is recorded as living at Hall Bank.
He died in 1892 aged 68 and his Will was recorded as having been written at the Church Inn. Just wondered if the 1891 had picked him up.

Many thanks for looking

Gareth Wright

Pixgazza
01-08-2007, 1:43 PM
Little bit more info.

I suspect that he may have been staying at the Inn owned by one Henry Daniel, called, the Church Inn or Wrights Arms. Maybe it would show up on this persons census records.

Many thanks again,

Gareth Wright

blue eyes
01-08-2007, 2:31 PM
This looks like the right one

Civil parish Mobberely, reg dist Altrincham, sub reg dist Wilmslow

Class RG12
Piece 2820
Folio 112

Address Church Inn

James Wright head age 68 occ victualler born Pendleton (definately victualler on census licensed was crossed out)
Ann wife age 53 born Pendleton
Jane dau age 23 occ barmaid born Handley? Staffordashire
Harry son age 7 born Mobberely
Amy dau age 14 born Mobberely
Alice dau age 14 born Mobberely

No sign of Henry Daniel and is Jane their daughter she is down as Wright, as her place of birth dosnt fit in.

Julie

Pixgazza
01-08-2007, 3:17 PM
Yes, thats the Gentleman!
However the licensed part crossed out confuses me. Does that mean he was sort of, selling victuals on the side or something? :-)

Ann his wife wasn't born in Pendleton, she was born in Fazeley in Staffordshire. She married James there and they had a few children before moving to Mobberley to work at the mill. I suspect that Jane was an acquaintance of Ann with her being from Staffordshire. The rest of the children tie-in ok though some have left.

Many many thanks again Julie

Gareth Wright

blue eyes
01-08-2007, 3:46 PM
Anns place of birth is definately down as Pendleton on census, wondering if Ann and Janes birth was put down wrong, even though Janes looks like Handley and transcribed as Handley by Ancestry looking at it further it could be Fazeley perhaps thats the enumerators interpretation.

Julie

Pixgazza
01-08-2007, 4:34 PM
Yes possibly Julie but it definately Fazeley, tracked them that far.

I wonder, could he have been an early type of Manager living in with his family but the license with someone else?
Anyway, at least I definately know he was dispencing the amber nectar there.

So many thanks to you JUlie,

All the very best

Gareth