PDA

View Full Version : New Virus Attack

Ed Bradford
31-07-2007, 3:37 PM
There appears to be a new virus circulating the Internet. I had one hit yesterday and two today. Please be careful with email messages sent to you from unknown senders. .Ed

MarkJ
31-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Any more details Ed? General subject line for example - it may help people to be aware of potential issues.
Did your AV program pick it up - if so, do you recall what it named the problem?
They are one of my little interests - stemming from my time working with one of the large ISPs and dealing with security issues of various sorts.

Mark

Rod Neep
01-08-2007, 12:02 AM
I had an unusual one this morning for the first time in ages...

From someone named "Clayton", subject line "Bill"
Containing no text, but containing an attached file "bill.zip"

It just got deleted.
Hey I don't want any bills anyway. ;)

Mutley
01-08-2007, 12:08 AM
You sure it wasn't Clinton and he wanted a round of Golf.

You being retired now...... :D

Ed Bradford
01-08-2007, 3:38 PM
Sorry Mark but I've instructed my service provider to delete them before they get to me. They did send to me the subject line which is "You've received a postcard from a Colleague!" and the name of the virus which is StormWorm. In final count I got three yesterday. ...............Ed

MarkJ
01-08-2007, 4:07 PM
Thats a good idea - shame not all ISPs run a similar system.
The Storm Worm is quite an old one - it was around in 2001. Interesting that it seems to be returning again. Unless you are running an IIS server (which most home users probably are not), it shouldn't be a real problem - but it is always a good idea to delete any mail which is not from a recognised sender. Even then, I would recommend always checking if a friend actually did send any attachments if one appears - some worms will replicate themselves via infected computers and send themselves out to those people in your address book.
There are a couple of IM related ones knocking around currently - that seems to be a popular target now that computer users seem to be getting wise to the usual email versions.

Mark