PDA

View Full Version : Moved forward leaps and bounds!!!!

OwlsburyAli
26-07-2007, 3:27 PM
For some years I have been (half-heartedly) following up a family story that an ancestor's house in Canterbury burnt down while the owners were in London resulting in ancestor's loss of everything and subsequent emigration to Australia. NSW searches had revealed a marriage in 1862 - beyond that I had no idea when this fire might have happened or even if the story was true. Searches of local Kent papers were a fruitless exercise (I did try!).

One day I am referred to this very site (thank you Debbie) and I come across references to the Manchester Library 24 hour library (thank you UK and others). I join the Library, get my library card and access the Times Digital Archive.

On my FIRST search I get the answer I need, just by typing in the name of the house "St Thomas's Hill" - 9th June 1831. Off I wizz to Canterbury and the Kentish Gazette and find all the newspaper coverage. I find that our COLEMAN ancestors did indeed own the house, it was indeed burnt down, a servant, Mary WANSTALL, was suspected of the fire and of setting it to cover up the fact that she had stolen a considerable amount of stuff from the house. Poor Mary tragically took her own life while in custody ("momentary insanity"). Her father Benjamin WANSTALL aged 70 was sentenced to 7 years transportation for the burglaries.

Then, all of a sudden, convict registers go online, I type in Benjamin Wanstall - and there he is - sadly, and unsurprisingly, listed as having died during the voyage.

There's a thread somewhere else about punishment fitting crime - this story has such a sad end.

Incidentally I also discovered that said ancestor, Charles Webb COLEMAN, had been delared bankrupt almost exactly one year earlier - makes you wonder...

This is rather long, but just to say - all thanks to this Forum! Thank you! |jumphappy
Alison

Peter Goodey
26-07-2007, 3:58 PM
I come across references to the Manchester Library 24 hour library (thank you UK and others). I join the Library, get my library card and access the Times Digital Archive.
You're in East Sussex?

Well I hate to tell you this but...

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/libraries/reference/timesarchive.htm

uksearch
27-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm glad that you were able to find this so quickly.

UK

OwlsburyAli
27-07-2007, 2:25 PM
That would have been much too easy!!
But thanks for pointing that out Peter.

UK - It has been a rather heady and exciting month! But then that's Family History Research for you is it not - nothing for years and then everything at once...