PDA

View Full Version : Lookups in Truro RO

Barbara Wilkinson
22-07-2007, 10:20 AM
I have managed to persuade my husband that Cornwall is the place to holiday again this year - M5 and flooding permitting ...!! Lots of brickwalls to break down, but I expect the usual frustrations to kick in when I cannot find what I am looking for! So .... if you want anything looking up in the Record Office, I expect I will be glad of the excuse to root around in someone else's family history - and it will save me the embarrasment of being tempted to throw the fiche reader through the window ......

We leave on Thursday - so any requests before then .....

Barbara Wilkinson
22-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Bo Peep - I'd be delighted! I will be passing you to throw the fiche reader through the window .......

Barbara Wilkinson
22-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Patience I have in shed loads ... but ....!!

My most enduring brickwall is John Benney who married Mary Cornish at St Clement on 15 October 1780. Lots of theories about who John's parents were, from various parishes, but no proof. Not much proof about Mary either for that matter, but more probable guesses.

Other ancestors who have perfected the art of hiding are Edith Treganza/Tregenza, the daughter of Samuel and Jane, baptised at St Mary, Truro in 1820. I cannot find much on Samuel and Jane - not even Jane's last name! Joice Nancarrow of St Agnes who married Joseph Ninnis in 1779 is another - she has completely vanished into the woodwork - again, lots of theories, but no proof!

But this time ......!!!!!

Barbara Wilkinson
22-07-2007, 1:13 PM
I have got that reference, thanks - I have a strong suspicion that this is "my" Joyce's aunt, but have never be able to find a suitable brother for this Joyce whose marriage and children I can trace to mine. I had misled you in my previous post - Joyce married Joseph in 1804, he was born in 1779 - which has always made me think this Joyce is too old. She would have been over 60 when her last child was born!

Barbara Wilkinson
22-07-2007, 1:58 PM
Thanks for those - I have most, if not all of them, having trawled through the St Agnes registers and transcripts in Truro on a previous visit. I think Joyce may well be the daughter of one of the sons of George and Joyce, but have not found anything yet. I have traced a few of the brothers to their own marriages and subsequent children, but not yet all of them - and without any success! Nancarrow seems to be a particularly common name in St Agnes, and going back a further generation, there are dozens more from whom "my" Joyce could be descended - I have concentrated in the past on this family because of the associations with the name Joyce - it does not seem particularly common elsewhere - unless you know different ....!!!

Thanks for taking the time and trouble, I appreciate the interest, and will definitely say hello at the Record Office! No need to worry really about flying fiche readers ......!!!
Barbara

Barbara Wilkinson
23-07-2007, 5:42 PM
I am adding to this thread since the original point of it was to offer lookups in Cornwall - not get bogged down with my vanishing Nancarrows. They are no clearer - but I appreciated the help!

If anyone has any requests - please get in touch!

blueandwhite4_ever
24-07-2007, 1:50 PM
Hi
If possible could someone do a lookup for me regarding my Mutton family. I have a Thomas Mutten(Mutton) who marr. Mary Ann(e) Symons, in the March quarter of 1843 Registration District of Liskeard. (30 March 1843, Mutten (should be Mutton) Thomas (m) 19, Symons, Mary Anne (m) 19 Sp. Maders. Would the records there say who the parents were? I am trying to determine who the parents were to see if I have the correct family and to send for a certificate. I also have three daughters born to a Thomas and Mary Ann Mutton 1) Mary Jane b. 1843 Sept. in Liskeard, 2) Sophia Ann b. Dec. 1845 Launceston, 3) Eliza b. June 1847 in Liskeard.
Also could someone tell me how to order certificates without a credit card?
Any info would be a huge help. Thanks ........ Dawn

25-07-2007, 7:14 AM
Hi Barbara if you do have a moment l am researchg my family from Cornwall but cannot come across the marriage of my gt gt grandparents - Truro area - possibly Kea or Kenwyn
Mary Ann Francis to John Tippett ( Tippit)
She states she was born in Plymouth but l have her on the 1851 census in the Truro area with an uncle surnamed Grose. By 1861 she was married with at least 3 children.
If you have time a quick look would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ann Hale

Barbara Wilkinson
18-08-2007, 7:36 AM
Hello Ann, Dawn - and not forgetting Bo Peep!

Dawn - looked at the PR for Liskard - no marriage for Mary Ann Symons and Thomas Mutten (whatever spelling they used!) - I did not have time to try any of the non-conformist registers. The PRs for baptisms revealed nothing either - although the film was very difficult to read as it was very dark and the writing did not show up very well. Sorry not to have better news!

Ann - again, a negative result - sorry! I had a quick trawl through the transcript for St Mary's Truro, and the PRs for Kenwyn and Kea, but nothing. However, it was quick, because I was running out of time ......!!!

Bo Peep - sorry I did not get to say hello - I did not spend as much time as I would have liked in the RO - for a variety of reasons, mostly due to being ill for most of my holiday ...!! The days I picked were obviously not those you were there - or at least, there was no-one picking away at a laptop by the window!! A very unprofitable time too - no further forward - oh well, I'll have to go back next year .......
Barbara

22-08-2007, 9:25 AM
Thanks very much Barbara - one day l will find them !!!!
Ann Hale

blueandwhite4_ever
28-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Hello Barbara & Bo Peep,
Thanks for the help in trying to find reg. of marriage of Thomas Mutton & Mary Ann Symons. Will find them sooner or later. Again, thanks .............. Dawn

suedent
28-08-2007, 2:42 PM
The marriage was in Southill Parish Church (Maders is in Southill Parish)

M700, 1843, Mar, 30, MUTTEN Thomas (M), 19, bachelor, Labourer, Maders, Robert Mutton, Farmer., SYMONS Mary Anne (M), 19, spinster, Maders, William Symons, Labourer., Eliza Peller, William Symons, both (M). By (-)

They also had a daughter baptized in Southill Church
C1998, 1843, Sep, 3, MUTTON, Mary Jane, Thomas, Mary Anne, Maders, Labourer

(Both records transcribed by Lynda Mudle-Small)

This website is invaluable for information on St Ive, South Hill and Linkinhorne & has helped my own research a great deal, some great photos of the parishes too.

http://www.lynherparishes.co.uk

Sue

suedent
28-08-2007, 2:57 PM
HO107/133 ED 7 Book 9 Folio 9 Page 10
Furstown, Southill, Cornwall
William Westaway 60 Farmer In County
Rebecca Westaway 60 In County
Mary Baker 13 Niece (Crossed Out),In county
Thomas Mutton 15 Male Servant,In county
John Frances 17 Male Servant In county
Grace Strike 15 Female Servant In county

HO107/133 ED 7 Book 9 Folio 16 Page 4
Lower Trewassick, Southill, Cornwall
William Symons 55 Ag. Lab In county
Ann Symons 50 Scotland
Maryann Symons 15 In county

This looks like Mary Ann's baptism in Southill again transcribed by Lynda
C1578, 1823, Oct, 12, SYMONS, Mary Ann, William, Ann, Jericho, Labourer

This could be Thomas' father, Southill isn't far from Callington.

HO107/133 ED 1 Book 1 Folio 5 Page 3
Pengilly, Callington, Cornwall
Robert Mutton 40 Farmer In county
Anthony Mutton 14 In county
Richard Mutton 12 In county
John Mutton 10 In county
Mary Mutton 25 In county
Harriot Mutton 20 In county
Mary Mutton 7 In county
Joanna Mutton 1 In county
William Sheers 20 Male Servant,In county
Eliza Nicholson 20 Dress Maker In county