PDA

View Full Version : Posting interests THOMSON & CRAIK

ruthrrr
20-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Hi

I am looking for more information on William Thomson and his wife Catherine (nee Craik). William was born around 1838 in Glencorse (his parents were a William and Margaret Thomson). He married Catherine Craik in 1860 in Athelstaneford. It looks like they moved round quite a bit as the 1881 census shows that their various children were born in Humbie, Bolton, Ormiston, Cockpen, Dalkeith, Lasswade and Newbattle. By 1881 they were living in Newbattle, where they also appear on the 1891 census. By 1901 they had moved to Westfield Park, Dalkeith. I have been told by one elderly relative that William worked on the Duke of Buccleuch's estate as a gardener, but all records that I have found so far list him as a ploughman or general labourer. There is also the possibility that his son William Jeffrey Thomson (born 1869) worked on the Duke of Buccleuch's estate as a child.

Catherine Craik was born around 1839 in Crighton. Her father was Andrew Craik, and her mother's surname was either Kinlay or McKinlay.

Hope someone out there has a similar interest.

Ruth

joette
15-06-2005, 12:02 PM
My ggggranmother was Ann Craik. She was born about 1790 probably in Eddlestone Peebles. She married John Veitch in Eddlestone about 1815. They had two children that I know off my ggggranmother Helen &Janet who married aThomson or thompson. I dont know her Parents name but there are not too many craiks about.
Helen Veitch became Helen Scott moved to Glencorse where all her children were born.

ruthrrr
27-06-2005, 12:51 PM
My ggggranmother was Ann Craik. She was born about 1790 probably in Eddlestone Peebles. She married John Veitch in Eddlestone about 1815. They had two children that I know off my ggggranmother Helen &Janet who married aThomson or thompson. I dont know her Parents name but there are not too many craiks about.
Helen Veitch became Helen Scott moved to Glencorse where all her children were born.
Hi Joette

I've had a look but haven't come across your Ann Craik, but as I haven't managed to research back that far on this side I will keep a note just in case.

Ruth