PDA

View Full Version : 1853 Tinyfedw is it road, town?

Bob Topley
18-07-2007, 12:14 PM
I have an ancestor, Robert Parry born 1853 and in the When and Where Born column of the certificate it states, Tinyfedw, Llanrhaiadr, Denbigh. The registration was in District Llanrhaiadr, Sub-district Llanrhaiadr in the Counties of Denbigh & Montgomery. I have two questions. Firstly is Tinyfedw a street, road, lane or village and does it still exist or have a new name? I've not been able to find Tinyfedw anywhere. Secondly is Llanrhaiadr mentioned above now known as Llanraeadr-ym-Mochnant Powis? I reside in Canada and I don't have the historical knowledge of the evolution of place names in Wales. You never know, I might get to visit Wales but I better do it soon as I'm not getting any younger.
I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have regarding my quest to find Tinyfedw.
Thank you.

busyglen
18-07-2007, 2:25 PM
I've had a look around Bob, and I've come to the same conclusion as you that Llanrhaiadr, is probably now Llanraeadr. It sounds very close doesn't it? But...I can't come up with an answer for Tinyfedw...it sounds like a hamlet/village but although I've looked at a few maps, I can't find it.

Hopefully someone from Denbigh may be able to help.

Glenys

Bob Topley
18-07-2007, 3:10 PM
Thank you for trying. I had a similar situation with another distant relative Mary Topley (ms Rowlands) who was listed in the 1881 England Census as being born in Collfryn Montgomeryshire. I spent over 2 years looking for Collfryn with no luck until I tried MapQuest the other day and there was Collfryn Lane near Llandisilio where Mary's mother was born. This is what motivated me to try and find Tinyfedw (that's the way it was spelled in 1853) and perhaps it's spelled differently now.
Thanks again.
Bob

busyglen
18-07-2007, 5:04 PM
I'm no expert on Wales Bob.....I'm still trying to find my `Jones' ancestor born in Denbighshire and I haven't a more specific location than that. With a common name like Jones, I don't stand a chance. :( Hope you have more luck.

Glenys

busyglen
18-07-2007, 5:50 PM
Bob, I have found it at last! If you go here, you will see that it is a village, and spelt Tynyfedw.

http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisure/searchProcessing.jsp?q=Tinyfedw&gazName=p

Best wishes

Glenys

Bob Topley
18-07-2007, 6:23 PM
You're fantastic. I didn't know that map site existed. All I have is a 2006 AA Great Britain Road Atlas. Now my next question is I noticed in my atlas that the location of Tinyfedr (not spelled Tynyfedw and not in my atlas) is approximately 5 miles west of Pentre Llanrhaeadr and it isn't Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant as I thought so I better re-check my files to make sure evertthinh is in Denbigh and not Montgomery. Just curious, when did they separate Denbigh and Montgomery?
Thank you so very much for solving this puzzle.
Bob

busyglen
19-07-2007, 8:33 AM
I'm no expert on Wales, Bob. I did a Google search for `Maps Wales' and then did a search for Tinyfedr, which brought up the one I found. I notice that it gives Tynyfedw as Conwy at that time. (If I have read the details properly.) This is obviously an old map with Welsh spellings, so it's a bit difficult to work out whether Llanrhaeadr is the new way of spelling Llanrhaiadr nowadays.

I don't know if anyone else can advise you of the changes of the boundaries and when they occurred, but if I have a moment later today, (I'm off out now) I will see if I can find some information for you.

Let's hope that this one I have found is the correct one, although I can't find anything else that fits.

Regards

Glenys

busyglen
19-07-2007, 8:42 AM
As an afterthought, have you looked at the Genuki site? It has quite a lot of information on Wales and their counties. www.genuki.co.uk

Glenys

Bob Topley
19-07-2007, 8:55 PM
Thank you Glynis. I have bookmarked the site and will spend some time sorting out when borders and other jurisdictions were changed and I expect it will help sort out the duplication of place names.
I have found another Tinyfedw. It is located on the road that runs north and south between Bwlch-y-Ddar and Llangedwytn. This makes more sense to me because the family of Thomas and Jane (m.s. Thomas) Parry were also born and raised in the area and they are showing up in the 1851 and 1861 Wales census living in the Parish of Gartheryr
Bob