PDA

View Full Version : Foster

valerie coleman
30-06-2007, 3:24 PM
Hi - I've found a relative William Foster born in Byers Green 1839 and his father is down as being William Foster born Byers Green 1811. How can I find out who his parents were and when he was married. Records don't start until 1837 and the LDS website doesn't really tell me much.

Thanks

blue eyes
30-06-2007, 3:56 PM
Found this family on the 1851 census

civil parish Byers Green reg dist Auckland sub eg dist Bishop Auckland

address-Byers Village

William Foster age 40 born Byers Green occ joiner
Ann Foster wife age 42 born Helloe?
Ellen Foster dau age 13 born Helloe?
William Foster son age 12 born Helloe?
Jane Foster dau age 10 born Byers Green
Thomas Foster on age 6 born Byers Green
John Foster son age 6 mths born Byers Green
John Burdon nephew age 16 born Merrington errand boy
James Wilson lodger age 21 land drainer born Yorkshire NK

Julie

blue eyes
30-06-2007, 9:05 PM
Here are the same family on the 1841 census

civil parish St. Andrews Auckland, reg dist Auckland sub reg dist Bishop Auckland township of Byers Green

Wm Foster age 30 occ carpenter
Ann Foster age 30
Margaret Foster age 10
Mary Foster age 6
Elizabeth Foster age 5
Ellen Foster age 4
William Foster age 2
Jane Foster age 4mths

Living in a seperate household a few doors away are:-

Wm Foster age 65 farmer
Ann Foster age 70
Thomas Foster age 25

Julie

valerie coleman
30-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks Julie but I've got all that. What I'm after is the William born 1811 - I don't know where to look for his birth details. LDS website has an entry dated 1810 but I don't know if this is him or not.

birdlip
01-07-2007, 1:09 PM
Hello Julie,

have you tried batch numbers?

Apologies if you know all this..if you go back to IGI and click on William Fo(r)ster b 1810 Auckland St Andrew, it will show you his parents names; William Forster and Ann Toulson.

If you want to check whether there were other Wm Forsters born abt 1810/11 at Auckland St Andrew, click on the batch number at the bottom of the screen, P000213, type in Forster, and click on search. It will list all the Forster christenings in that parish between 1801-1812. Click on the names as before, to get the parents names.

Foster and Forster are interchangeable of course. Many of my Northumberland and Durham Forsters are spelt Foster and vice versa through the generations. Regards, Birdlip

valerie coleman
01-07-2007, 1:30 PM
thanks - I've already tried that but the kids that were christened don't match with what I've already got. It's a nightmare with the name being spelt Foster and Forster. I've found that parents will be spelt Foster and children will be spelt Forster and vice versa.

The problem with IGI is that I don't know if that William is the one I'm looking for as I don't know whether his parents were Ann Toulson/William Foster or not. It's possible because further down the line there is another Ann Toulson/William Foster and it wasn't unheard of for cousins etc to marry in those days. He was already married when the 1841 census came around and that of course doesn't give details of his parents. I just know roughly the date he was born and roughly where he was born, although I've come across him in a couple of other census' and he was born in a different place on each!

birdlip
01-07-2007, 1:44 PM
If you do a Parent search on IGI, it shows another child born to William Forster and Ann Toulson;

Mary Forster b 17 Sep 1805, ch 8 Dec 1805, Chester Le Street, Durham.

It seems quite likely that William 65, and Ann 70, in the 1841 census will turn out to be Williams parents. Perhaps they married at Chester Le Street?

If you want to search Forster marriages at Chester Le Street, or anywhere for that matter, Hugh Wallis lists all the IGI batch numbers for births or marriages in the various parishes...just type in Hugh Wallis on Google.

IGI has its limitations (and you'll eventually have to verify it all, by checking the original Parish registers) but it can be very handy for pointing you in the right direction. Once again, apologies if you know all this. Regards, Birdlip

birdlip
01-07-2007, 1:51 PM
Whoops, I called you Julie, sorry!

It looks like we crossed in the mail, I didn't read your post before I sent the second one. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

The Foster/Forster thing isnt too bad. i have BOLWELL's in Wiltshire that have turned up as Balwill and Baldwell, amongst others!

Regards, Birdlip

valerie coleman
01-07-2007, 8:44 PM
thanks birdlip - will look into it. You can call me anything you like (within reason of course!)