PDA

View Full Version : William Orr's descendants

megp
19-11-2004, 8:33 PM
Family lore has my mother's grandmother as descended from someone named Orr who was hanged for taking part in an Irish rebellion. I wonder if this may be William Orr of Ferranshane, hung at Carrickfergus, County Antrim in 1797. I understand he had five children and his wife, Isabella, was pregnant at the time of his death.

Is anyone aware of a family tree for his descendants?

Christopher
07-01-2006, 6:45 PM
Family lore has my mother's grandmother as descended from someone named Orr who was hanged for taking part in an Irish rebellion. I wonder if this may be William Orr of Ferranshane, hung at Carrickfergus, County Antrim in 1797. I understand he had five children and his wife, Isabella, was pregnant at the time of his death.

Is anyone aware of a family tree for his descendants?

Hei Megp

William Orr is mentioned in " A Dictionary of Irish Biography ". Third Edition. Edited by Henry Boylan. Published by Gill and Macmillan 1998

The Editorial Secretary, Dr Linde Lunney, may have more information than appears in the Dictionary on her data base.

All the Best, Christopher

Joe G
28-04-2013, 4:58 PM
I have just joined this group, my family lore has Elizabeth Orr, a relative of William Orr who was hanged in Carrickfergus Castle Co. Antrim for being a member of the United Irishmen. She moved south from Co. Antrim to County Tipperary where she married William Coughlan. This was a 'mixed' marriage so the had two church ceremonies, first in the anglican church and on the following day in a roman catholic church. I'm still working on this....if you have any information or want any more details from me, please let me know. Joe Gantly, Dublin, Ireland ([email protected])

Joe G
28-04-2013, 5:00 PM
For more information on William Or,, check out http://www.from-ireland.net/history/Speech-From-The-Dock,-William-Orr