PDA

View Full Version : Curse of 18th March?

pejay
20-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi I am looking for any info on fishing accidents at Newbiggin by the Sea especially one on 18th March 1851 where 9 or was it 10 fishermen drowned, and again on the same date in 1915. My gg grandfather died 5 months later as a direct result of this accident, it seems he was caught up in his boat and netting and the sea must have been freezing! any info gratefully received.|help| thanks

bumblebee
20-06-2007, 1:32 PM
Hi Pejay

Just had a look at the Times Online and there is an article (very detailed) about an accident in 1851 - names mentioned are Charles Twizell, John Lylo Oliver, Phillip and John Dawson, William, Robert and Hunter Armstrong, Henry Brown and another William Armstrong if I read it correctly. This was on the 18th March 1851.

The second smaller article (1915) mentions another accident where two brothers called Twizell and 5 others died in a fishing accident involving several boats, some other boat accidents as well as it sounds like there were gales and adverse weather conditions.

If you haven't already got a library card (online) you can join for free.

and access the full Digital Times Online facility.

Bumblebee.

pejay
21-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi Bumblebee thanks for your info, it is definately the right fishing accident. I did log on to Bedford library, became a member and got a library and pin no - but could not seem to get anything coming up about fishing accidents before1908, am I doing something wrong? perhaps I am having an incredibly thick moment, but I have tried about a dozen times and no luck. |wave|

Copper
21-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I found the accident in the Times too. I put Newbiggin in the search box and high lighted the seach in entire article content. Then for the dates I asked it to check between 1 Jan 1851 and 31 Dec 1851.

This should work for you.

bumblebee
21-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Pejay

Once I got to the Times Online search box I just put in Newbiggin and the year, for 1915 there are two articles which may or may not be yours - "Return of Winter - heavy snowstorms and delays to traffic", and "mine sweeper lost in the gale, fatal accident at lifeboat launch"

It almost pays to ignore the title as that can just be the title of the section that includes your key words - for instance in the mine sweeper one, you have to read down the column to the smaller paragraphs headed 'havoc among fishing fleets" to get to the part where Newbiggin is mentioned.

The search engine can be a bit 'selective'.

Don't give up as the first article for 1851 is very good

Bumblebee.

pejay
21-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Bumblebee and Copper, thanks very much for your help, yes I did manage to get the articles this time by doing what you said, yes it is very informative for the 1851 accident. I think for 1915 it was more 'minesweeper lost in gale', I will remember the website as it may prove very helpful. |wave|