PDA

View Full Version : Everyone say "Thank Goodness!"

Jo from Australia
18-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I can stop bugging people about trying to find Lena Ellen Gray - Branton now.
Finally found the woman! She was not in any census listings in England and could find a birth reg for her....that is because she was Canadian!!! I found a passenger listing for a ship going to Canada in 1906 with george Branton (right age) Lena Branton (right age) and baby Lizzie (age of my grand mother Lena Elizabeth). I did a search in the 1901 Canadian census and there she was bold as brass. Correct date of birth, correct father's name and so on! I am yet to really understand how the Canadian records are kept and what is avaliable and how - but at least I can feel confident that I am in the right direction now. I think I mentioned once that my grandmother said she had a lumber jack in the fmaily and I toyed with either the Canadian lumberjack or the docklands lumber jack.

Funny how different the records that are kept from country to country. I did try and search for in coming passengers (to find out when Lena Ellen Gray came to England) but there apparently isnt any available - please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, everyone can breathe a sigh of relief that I can stop harping on about trying to find Lena Gray!

Thanks everyone for everything!

Jo

jeeb
18-06-2007, 12:16 PM
....that is because she was Canadian!!! I found a passenger listing for a ship going to Canada in 1906 with george Branton (right age) Lena Branton (right age) and baby Lizzie (age of my grand mother Lena Elizabeth). I did a search in the 1901 Canadian census and there she was bold as brass.

Jo

Hi Jo,
Just wondered if she was on a ship going to Canada in 1906, what was she doing on Canadian census in 1901, unless she had come to England from Canada after 1901 and was returning in 1906?

Jeremy