PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence?

Derek Atherton
16-06-2007, 3:40 PM
I have just received a copy of the will of my Gt (x4) Grandfather, dated 1 Jul 1826. A copy of the probate is also attached dated 18 Apr 1827 which states that he died on 12th Oct 1826. Very timely will writing? This, coincidentally is also the date I was given (from a look-up) for the date of the death of his wife (Anne Atherton (nee Beakhouse) who died in Altrincham.

Now something is amiss and I'm look for help (again). In his will he refers to his late wife - the mother of his step children Ann and John Falkner? He also refers to the Executor, James Atherton my Gt (x3) Grandfather.

Could someone either please do a look up for me regarding the deaths of these two Atherton's on the same date or come up with a logical explanation?

It's a pity I don't have ages of these step children, I might have been able to come up with something from the 1841 census?

Regards,

Peter Goodey
16-06-2007, 4:52 PM
You're asking for a lookup but you don't seem to have mentioned his name.

Colin Moretti
16-06-2007, 7:28 PM
I have just received a copy of the will of my Gt (x4) Grandfather, dated 1 Jul 1826. A copy of the probate is also attached dated 18 Apr 1827 which states that he died on 12th Oct 1826. Very timely will writing? This, coincidentally is also the date I was given (from a look-up) for the date of the death of his wife (Anne Atherton (nee Beakhouse) who died in Altrincham.

Now something is amiss and I'm look for help (again). In his will he refers to his late wife - the mother of his step children Ann and John Falkner? He also refers to the Executor, James Atherton my Gt (x3) Grandfather.

... come up with a logical explanation?
......Regards,

Perhaps he was married twice, first to the mother of Ann and John Falkner (so she would have been a widow when they married) then, following her death (his late wife), he married Ann Beakhouse who could then have died the same day as him. James could have been the child of either wife.

Many of the wills I have have been written just a short while before the person's death; was it not considered tempting fate to write a will when in good health?

Colin

Derek Atherton
17-06-2007, 8:12 AM
Peter,

Sorry - fuzzy head!

His name was John Atherton!

Derek

Peter Goodey
17-06-2007, 8:32 AM
Try

http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/

There is a John Atherton indexed in Cheshire in 1826.

Derek Atherton
18-06-2007, 8:03 PM
Try

http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/

There is a John Atherton indexed in Cheshire in 1826.

Peter,

Many thanks - that is my John Atherton! Though unfortunately there is no mention of a Mrs Atherton on that site! Any thoughts on how I could trace the Falkner children - Ann and John without knowing their ages?

Derek

Peter Goodey
18-06-2007, 9:27 PM
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the family to advise. Start with the parish registers probably.

Derek Atherton
19-06-2007, 7:04 PM
For (in particular) Peter and Colin,

Many thanks for both your efforts/suggestions.

I can now, rather shamefacedly (!) admit that the Atherton's did not die on the same day - it was my stupid error when entering the details into a new Family Tree programme! I promise it won't happen again.

Regarding the step-daughter and step-son, I am now pursuing the angle suggested on look-ups as a result of some names collected from NBI - though regrettably, John Atherton's wife does not seem to be present!

Again, many thanks for your help!

Regards,

Derek

uksearch
19-06-2007, 7:55 PM
Where did he die? Was it in the Altrincham area? If so Bowdon might be a good place to look.

Bowdon- St Mary the Virgin
Baptisms-1628-1841- MFPR 211
Burials-1628-1841- MFPR 213
Marriages-1628-1844- MFPR 212

UK

Derek Atherton
20-06-2007, 8:01 PM
UK,

John Atherton died in Altrincham on 12 Oct 1826 and was buried at Blessed Virgin Mary in Bowdon on 17 Oct 1826.

I have no death details of either his wife Ann (Beakhouse) Atherton nor the name of the mother of his step children Ann and John Falkner (Faulkner?) - I'm afraid!

Other than the fact that if he married twice they would both be called Atherton - nothing I have seen on the NBI remotely links any possibles! (NBI search of Bowdon refers - both Atherton/Falkner).

To perhaps confuse further (!) could the Ann and John Falkner in the Will be the John and Ann Atherton in my tree? John (b. 1791) and Ann (b. 1795) Atherton's were courtesy of a look up and I have followed John through 1841 and 1851 census living in Hulme - not managed any further with Ann! Their young sibling James b.1796 is my Gt(3) Grandfather (and Executor of his father John's Will/Probate).

I perhaps need further confirmation now from a look-up on details of birth in Altrincham (Bowdon?).

NB. MFPR? Manchester F? Parish Records?

Yours (confused),

Derek

uksearch
21-06-2007, 11:45 AM
UK,

SNIP

NB. MFPR? Manchester F? Parish Records?

Yours (confused),

Derek
CLOSE...MicroFilm Parish Record(s). I have also heard it explained as Manchester Film Parish Record. The senior archivist states is it the former.

UK