PDA

View Full Version : Colenutts of the Isle of Wight

wendypusey
16-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I have done extensive research into the Colenutt family of the Isle of Wight.

If anyone wants any info please send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you.

Wendy

[edited by moderator - please note, Wendy is no longer a member of the forums, but there are others in this thread interested in the surname]

graynut
15-09-2008, 6:39 PM
Hi Wendy.
My name is Graham Colenutt and I live in Leeds.
I am really interested in what information you may have regards the family history. I am related directly to the Colenutts of Ryde and have extensive information regarding the IoW Colenutts/Colnets going back to circa 1500.
I have recently discovered the existence of two Colnet brothers who were magistrates officiating at Winchester mid 15th century.
Look forward to hearing from you <[email protected]>

Gill.g
10-04-2009, 3:51 PM
Hi Wendy.
My name is Graham Colenutt and I live in Leeds.
I am really interested in what information you may have regards the family history. I am related directly to the Colenutts of Ryde and have extensive information regarding the IoW Colenutts/Colnets going back to circa 1500.
I have recently discovered the existence of two Colnet brothers who were magistrates officiating at Winchester mid 15th century.
Look forward to hearing from you <[email protected]>

Hi Graham

Not sure if you are still visiting this forum, but if you are, I'm very interested in the Colenutt history on the IoW. My mother's family are from the island and our links are Colenutt, Howlett and Youngs.

Would love to exchange info but perhaps am writing after you've left.

Gill

Sandra Parker
10-04-2009, 9:54 PM
Don't forget Ann Barretts wonderful resources.
http://www.annbarrett.co.uk/
Sandra with th spectacled aura

Gill.g
16-04-2009, 6:24 PM
Thanks for that link Sandra. I will be visiting the island in the not too distant future I hope so intend to do stacks of leg work getting around some of the areas I know my family were based in.

barrie wise
17-04-2009, 4:28 AM
Hello Gill and possibly Graham,

Thought this might be of interest to you - I have been researching the U.K. Howletts for a family reunion we are having this weekend in Campania, Tasmania, and I briefly touched upon the Isle of Wight connection.
James Howlett, born 1835 Stutton, Suffolk, died 1903 Shanklin, IOW, married Hannah Colenatt, born 1833 IOW, died 1894 Shanklin, about March 1862. They ran a boarding house "Osborne House" on the island, and had three boys, Henry James, William Alfred, and Walter Barry.

Jame's uncle, Lazarus Howlett was convicted of stealing and was transported to Van Diemen's Land in 1828 leaving behind a wife and three children. He married again and has many descendants, hence the reunion.

Regards,
Barrie.

ChristineR
17-04-2009, 4:39 AM
Graham is still about, though hasn't posted to the forum again as yet. :)

Gill.g
18-04-2009, 4:02 PM
Barrie

We are related! My grandmother was Dora Howlett (William Alfred was her father). I'd love to learn more and exchange info. I've only recently been talking about Osborne House which apparently is now a hotel called the Pink Beach Hotel.

I had no idea that there was a Tasmanian connection! Oh my goodness, how exciting is this!!

Gill

Sandra Parker
18-04-2009, 9:51 PM
Hi Barrie,
I have a Hannah, daughter of William Colenutt and Sarah Arthur. She was born and died in 1776 at Niton, so certainly isn't yours, but the name is obviously a family one.
I believe that William and Sarah had 14 children, of whom probably only 3 died very young. Their daughter, Jane Colenutt, 1793-1886?, married my GGGGrandfather, George Barton in Portsea 1821.
I have quite a bit unverified information back to Richard Colnet 1506-1551, if you are interested. Names include William, Barnabus, John, Abraham, Richard, James, Phillip and Dousabelle, who may have married Nicholas Love in 1607.

Sandra with the spectacled aura :)

Gill.g
19-04-2009, 4:07 PM
Hi Sandra

I know you addressed your post to Barrie, but hope you don’t mind me responding.

I’m a direct descendant of Hannah Colenutt via her marriage to James Howlett. She was born in 1826 and died in 1894 whilst still at Osborne House. The Colenutt’s have a very long history on the Isle of Wight.

The Colenutt name seems to have changed from Colnett and I definitely have an unverified Barnabas Colnett (1556-1607) who married Elizabeth Mills. They had a son called John who married Joanne Mewe and they had a child called James who married Sarah Dillington. None of these are verified.

It would be interesting to compare notes and I’d be fascinated to know if there is any connection.

Regards

Gill

Sandra Parker
20-04-2009, 4:21 AM
Hi Gill, I will send you a PM. Seems like we have some names in common.
Cheers
Sandra

annmarie44
23-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi to both Sandra and Gill,

I am a descendent of another of the COLENUT daughters; Phebe born to William and Sarah ARTHUR in 1781. I also would be very interested in comparing notes. Also would love the opportunity to trace the COLENUT/COLNET back to their early history on IoW.

Regards,

AnnMarie

graynut
15-09-2010, 7:38 PM
Hi Graham

Not sure if you are still visiting this forum, but if you are, I'm very interested in the Colenutt history on the IoW. My mother's family are from the island and our links are Colenutt, Howlett and Youngs.

Gill

Hi Gill.
Not really into this format of contact so bear with me.
Yes I am still engaged in the recording of all material associated with the Colnet/Colenutt dynasty but this last 18 months my time has been taken with helping members of my family, principally my eldest son who has built his own house here in Bardsey near Leeds.
I am at present in the advanced stages of attempting to compile a book about the family. Until recent years I had been hesitant because of damage done to early research by a self-deluded individual who lived on the Isle of Wight. It is alleged that he falsified certain documents, including wills, and this act threw doubt on certain aspects of the considerable work carried out out by three retired cousins between 1950 and 1978.
His claims are now laid to rest with the discovery of two Colnets at Winchester in the mid to late 15th century and it is pretty certain that one of these individuals moved with his new wife Joan Dauntesay to the Isle of Wight circa 1520. I am more convinced that these two Richards in Winchester are related to the Colnets of Sheppey, London, one of whom Nicolas Colnet was Prebendary to Lincoln Cathedral and commanded by Henry V to accompany the King to Agincourt in 1415. It is from this family that the famous Captain James Colnet rose to serve with Captain Cook on his voyages of discovery on the western seaboard of the Americas. The name Colnet can be found from Mexico to Vancouver and on The New Hebridean Islands.
The Winchester 'Richard Colnets' (father and son) had brothers, one of whom appears to have settled at Bosham, Hampshire, and started another branch of the family which probably integrated with the IoW family. There is certainly written evidence appertaining to land releases or sales between these members of the Colnets. et al.
Please contact me via my email address where I feel more confident..<[email protected]>.
Kind regards
Graham

Sandra Parker
17-09-2010, 6:25 AM
Thank you Graham, for your help re my Jane Colenutt and her antecedents. Also for clearing up the mysterious(?) arrival of Richard on IOW in 1520's.
Sandra

gary64
11-02-2012, 8:12 PM
Hi Graham

Gill

Hi Gill, my name is Gary and I live on the Isle of wight and I,m doing my Family History and i,m related to the colenutt,s my surname is butler , my Great Grandfather Frederick Butler married Bessie Colenutt in 1901 and I can trace my family back to Giovanni Colenutt in 1480 he came from Italy,would love to exchange info with you. Gary

graynut
03-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi Gary.
Please refer to my entry dated 23/06/2010above.

You will see from the text that you can forget all about Giovanni. He was a figment in the mind of a seriously deluded individual and never existed. The roots of our family lie firmly in Winchester and formerly, most likely the London area. I would kindly suggest that any effort available should be directed towards finding more information regarding the two Richard Colnets (father and son) who both resided in Winchester during the mid to late 15th cent. It may also be prudent to investigate the former's connection to Henry Beaufort the then Chancellor of the Exchequer under Henry V. At least one of these two Colnets was Lord Mayor of Winchester and the latter most likely the father of Richard of Combley. Richard of Combley married Joan Dauntesay of Lavington and they lived on the IoW. Richard d. circa 1551.
The hoped for result would tie them to Nichol Colnet, Prebendary of Lincoln, who was the physician to Henry V and who went with him to Agincourt in 1415. The full extent of Colnet held property and land in Winchester should be traceable. There are records in existence showing them to own/occupy properties in and around the flesh market in the center of the town and possibly the 'God Begot' house which still stands there.
Strangely enough my mother was Bessie Colentt.
Please keep in touch.
Graham

glenysj123
12-04-2012, 2:58 AM
I've just read with great interest some posts about the Colenutt family from the Isle of Wight. They are a couple of years old so I don't know if any of you are still out there but if you are, I'm looking for information on that family as well as the Dauntesey's. My 5X great grandmother was Mary Colenut married to Thomas Spragg. Through online info I can trace her (whether correctly or not) back to Richard Colnette who married Joanna Dauntesey, daughter of Sir John Dauntesey and Alice Blake.

Is it possible that Sir John Dauntesey and Henry VIII were cousins? How I would love to prove that!

Hope to hear from someone soon,
Glenys

Sandra Parker
16-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Was your Mary the daughter of Barnabus, or Abraham (Abraham the father and Abraham the son, both had daughters named Mary), or William or Isaac? I do have some details, limited verification unfortunately.
Sorry, can't help with the Royal Cousin connection.
Sandra

glenysj123
16-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Hi Sandra,

The information I have (from a Sprake cousin) says that Mary's father was Abraham 1674-1747. Her mother was Elizabeth Cook 1672-. Mary's grandfather was William Colenut 1645-1709 and her grandmother, Sarah Dillington 1642-1701. I think her great grandfather was Rev. John Colenut married to Joanne Mewe.

Mary Colenut
b. April 25, 1710 @ Gatcombe
d. March 18, 1782 @ St. Helen's
married:
Thomas Spragg 1708-1782

Looking forward to hearing from you again,
Glenys

Sandra Parker
17-04-2012, 7:36 AM
Snap. Same Abraham as mine. My ancestor was also Abraham, brother of your Mary, both children of Abraham and Elizabeth. Will send you a pm.
Sandra

glenysj123
18-04-2012, 12:07 AM
YAHOO!!! Can't wait to see what you have...cousin!!!!

Glenys

Sandra Parker
21-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Hi Glenys,
hope you found the file useful.
Sandra

DarrenP
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking into my wife's family history and have her great grandmother as Amy Harriet Colenutt, b. 1883 in Sandown, Isle of Wight to Mary Jane Colenutt. So far I have the Colenutt line back to John Colenutt, born ca 1774 via his son William Colenutt (b. 1799) who marrried Catherine Way.

Has anyone else found these Colenutts ? I would love to hear from anyone who may have.

Darren

seabreeze50
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
hi darren am new to this site and genealogy, am trying to trace my family history on the iow , am related to william colenutt who built the fishermans cottage in the early 1800 ,and i believe was a smuggler .he was married to catherine way and i believe had somewhere in the region of twenty children ,would like to go back further ,it sounds like i may be related to yor wife

tony

GayeA
12-04-2013, 6:07 PM
Hi Sandra,

Seeing your post to Barrie I thought I'd contact you to say that I have a sister to your Jane Colenutt. Her name is Phoebe Colenut(t) born 1781 to William Colenutt and Sarah Arthur. She married William Welch in 1807 at Newport, Isle of Wight, lived for some while on the mainland in Portchester, had five sons and probably died in 1852 on the island. If you can go further back from Phoebe's parents I'd loved to hear about it.

Regards

GayeA

Sandra Parker
13-04-2013, 3:23 AM
Hi GayeA,
I have sent you a PM
Sandra

LeeLee81
05-12-2016, 1:09 PM
Hello, i know this post is an old one but I was hoping someone might be able to help me.
I'm researching the Colenut side of my family tree and I've now come to a bit of a dead end. I have as far back as Abraham Colenet married to Elizabeth Cook father of Abraham Colenut 1707 and I believe his father was James Collnett but I have no sources. Please can anyone help?

Sandra Parker
12-12-2016, 4:20 AM
Hi LeeLee,
I've had a hectic time of late so haven't been on this forum much. I have quite a bit on this branch of the family, though much does need verifying, but it will give you a start.
Your Abraham (1674-1747), son of James(1641-?), married Sarah Dillington (1642-1741) in 1672. James was the son of Rev. John Colenutt (1602-1683) and Joanne Mewe (1605?-?) married on 6th June 1638. John was the son of Barnabus Colenutt (1556-1607) and Elizabeth Mills (1559-1629) married 1575?. I also have further details back another 4 generations to Richard who died in 1484. If you send me a pm I will send you the file.
This information is correct to the best of my knowledge, but will need further verification to make sure it really is accurate.
Sandra, whose spectacled aura has been a bit tarnished lately, but might be ok with a bit of a polish!

LeeLee81
17-12-2016, 6:49 PM
Oh that's great thanks so much �� I will PM you!

graynut
20-08-2017, 2:59 PM
Hi Sandra.
I have not visited this forum for a while but note with a great deal of interest that you say you have information of "another 4 generations to Richard who died in 1484". This is intriguing because, whilst I am aware of the two Richards, father and son, who lived in Winchester, I have yet to find positive proof that they are connected to the Richard that arrived at Combley IoW circa 1526. They most likely are so if you have this information, and any other of possible lateral family of these two Richards who may have settled in Bosham or elsewhere, I would be most interested to hear from you. I would be grateful if you could message me on <[email protected]>
Thanks Graham

Sandra Parker
21-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Hi Graham,
I have sent you an email and the Colenutt details I have. Hope you find it useful. Would appreciate it if you could let me know of any documentation to support stuff that is not verified.
Sandra