PDA

View Full Version : Adey family in Painswick, 1640 to 1697

johnadey
15-06-2007, 7:03 PM
For many years the earliest ancester in my family tree was John Adey of Painswick, born about 1640, died after 1697. I have found various documents in the Gloucestershire Archives proving that he owned property, he was a churchwarden and a constable but I have never been able to trace his parents.

A listing of Men of Arms in Paynswicke in 1608 has no mention of anyone with the surname Adey, Ady, Adye or anything similar, the 1623 Visitation of the Heralds to Gloucestershire mentions no Adeys in Painswick and the tax assessment for Painswick in 1641 has no Adey families so I am inclined to think that John Adey settled in Painswick rather than being born in Painswick.

I have recently stumbled across a christening in Oldbury upon Severn which reads John Ady, son of Richard Ady, christened Oldbury upon Severn, 22nd October 1637. This far back proof is often difficult to find and sometimes educated guesses are all that we have, my research is made more difficult by a large, so far unrelated, Adey family from Dursley and Wotton-under-Edge but I am inclined to think that this could be my man. The next 4 generations of my family all have a Richard, the last one died in Gloucester Asylum which is probably why the family stopped using the name! John's grandson John Adey is buried in Painswick church yard, the inscription on the badly weathered gravestone appears to read "John Ady" rather than "John Adey".

I would be interested to know if other people would reach the same conclusions.

Regards & thanks
John Adey