PDA

View Full Version : Myers of Cumberland/Manchester

Jillianiris
14-06-2007, 4:14 PM
A 95-year-old relative is convinced that his grandmother, my great-grandmother, was a Jewess disowned by her family for marrying out. Others in the family seem unaware of this or of any Jewish connection. Perhaps this forum can help.
Rebecca Myers Born 1863 in Drigg, Cumberland.
Her father John Myers b. 1827 Levens Westmorland. Mother Ann Walls.
His father David Myers b.1801 Manchester m. Rebecca Garnett of Kendal.
It seems that the Myers' stay in Manchester was temporary, as David's father Anthony was born in Whicham, Cumberland. Anthony married Ruth Worrold. Can't remember where I found it but I think Ruth was from Prestwich. Isn't there a thriving Jewish community in that area today?
I wonder if there is a grain of truth in my relatives story, but maybe the generations have got mixed up.
Any ideas?
Jill

uksearch
14-06-2007, 7:16 PM
If you check the IGI you will see that they married at Prestwich PC. There still is a thriving Jewish community there and in other close by areas.

UK

uksearch
15-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Married at Prestwich in 1794 March 2nd. Anthony MYERS & Ruth WORRALD both of Oldham in this Parish were married in this church...by Banns.... Both marked. Witnesses Wm GREENWOOOD & Edw REDFORD (CO).

UK

uksearch
15-06-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Prestwich/ (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Prestwich/)

Take a look at the link above. The old parish of Prestwich cum Oldham covered a large area. Oldham town is a few miles from Prestwich village.

UK

Jillianiris
17-06-2007, 4:57 PM
Thanks to those of you who replied.
If they married in the parish church it seems uunlikely that Ruth was Jewish, I suppose.

uksearch
18-06-2007, 4:21 PM
Thanks to those of you who replied.
If they married in the parish church it seems uunlikely that Ruth was Jewish, I suppose.I would not rule it out.

UK

bkermode
08-04-2018, 4:55 AM
Are you still following this thread? I have Rebecca as Rebeckah, which may give the answer to your question.

phillip
08-04-2018, 8:39 AM
It would help if the John Myers family census was posted on and I will do this in a later post. I have posted in the past on this forum about Jews 'marrying out' of the Jewish faith including my own lines which also include Myers.
For clarity and for those who have not got Jewish roots here is an extract from My Ancestors were Jewish. Dr Anthony Joseph Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd 3rd ed 2002.
Anthony was President of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain among his other positions. He was agreat help to me many years ago when I was also seeking information as to whether or not I had Jewish roots. The answer was a resounding confirmation and I have spent almost twenty years researching my lines and posting on this forum.

" According to Rabbinic law, Judaism descends through the mother, which means that in a mixed marriage, if the mother is herself Jewish then so are the children, but not so with the children of a Jewish father and a Gentile mother, unless the mother has herself converted under Orthodox auspices. It is difficult to be sure, in numerical terms, how many Jews may have deviated from the strict Orthodoxy of previous generations and 'married out'. However, the existence of such a situation has been widespread for many centuries."
In summary, it is through the mother's line that a person is a Jew in Orthodox terms.
You would need to discover more about John Myer's wife and her line.

On the subject of individual's being 'disowned' for marrying out that depended on the families attitude. I have read numbers of Jewish wills which included specific references to sons/daughters/nephews/nieces etc being told that they would not receive bequests if they married out of the Jewish faith. Similarly, some families did 'disown' their children or other relatives or at the least put a big distance between them.
In other cases marrying out was not an issue.

Phillip

phillip
08-04-2018, 9:30 AM
I did not realise that this was such an early thread and noted on the various family trees that the lines Myers/Garnett baptisms/marriages were all Christian going back to the 1700s and earlier. Any Jewish roots are not identified unless through marrying out or becoming a proselyte (converting to the Jewish faith).
Phillip

geneius
08-04-2018, 9:45 AM
Phillip

There is this old post on the forum which may assist

https://www.british-genealogy.com/archive/index.php/t-7248.html

I research in Millom & Drigg for my ancestors and have noted that Myers is quite a common surname...will drop by later Sunday duties beckon!

geneius
08-04-2018, 10:11 PM
Name: Anthony Myers
Baptism Date: 11 Jan 1772
Baptism Place: Whicham,Cumberland,England
Father: John Myers
FHL Film Number: 0924747 IT 3

MYERS, ANTHONY 75
GRO Reference: 1846 D Quarter in BOOTLE UNION, CUMBERLAND Volume 25 Page 23

Anthony Myers
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 2 Mar 1794
Marriage Place: Prestwich, St Mary, Lancashire, England
Spouse: Ruth Worrald
Reference Number: L160/1/4/6
Archive Roll: 592
Describes both as ‘of Oldham’ both signed’x’
Witneses Wm Greenwood & Edw’d Redford the latter appears on most of the entries so is probably a Verger etc

Death entry
MYERS, RUTH 34
GRO Reference: 1841 M Quarter in BOOTLE Volume 25 Page 18
MYERS, RUTH 72
GRO Reference: 1844 J Quarter in BOOTLE UNION, CUMBERLAND Volume 25 Page 18

bkermode
09-04-2018, 3:36 AM
Thanks so much Philipp. This is good to know.

I'm also descended from Anthony Myers and Ruth Worrald. They are my fourth great-grandparents, through their son Anthony and his daughter Mary-Ann.

I understand Anthony's father was a John Myers. I was looking at the John Myers in the area but haven't been able to establish which one is the right John. I suspect it's time to order some certificates.

Thanks again!