PDA

View Full Version : Robert HALL. Beetley

Jill
19-11-2004, 9:58 AM
Hi List,
I need some help here please, i am looking for Robert HALL born about 1818/19. at Beetley.I can not find his birth he went from Beetley to CRANHAM, In Essex and Married Mary Ann Carson. Robert's father was Thomas HALL.
I am now wonder if he was born in Beetley at all.
Many thanks.
Jill

Geoffers
19-11-2004, 12:40 PM
I need some help here please, i am looking for Robert HALL born about 1818/19. at Beetley.I can not find his birth he went from Beetley to CRANHAM, In Essex and Married Mary Ann Carson. Robert's father was Thomas HALL. I am now wonder if he was born in Beetley at all.
How many references do you have to Robert being born in Beetley? If the birthpalce is found from a single censsu return, try to find him in other census returns to confirm the birthplace.

If it still says Beetley, you may find that his parents moved about from one parish to another in order to work, before returning to the parish where they had legal settlement. During this time they may have several children, who being brought up in Beetley, believed this to be where they were born. It is worth checking neighbouring parishes.

Also, as the 19th century progressed, there was a growing tendency among many families to baptise children sometime after birth. In some cases, they did a job lot when the eldest was a teenager and you'll find several consecutive entries in a register - if the Vicar/Curate was being really helpful they sometimes have their respective ages/years of birth next to each entry.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage? Any Halls who also migrated with Robert whom you might loacte in Norfolk?

The 1851 census shows a Thomas Hall in Gressenhall workhouse:

HO107/1825 f254 p21
Gressenhall Workhouse
Thomas HALL, pauper, widr, 67, ag.lab, bn Beetley

10 years earlier:

HO107778/02 f6 p7 + f7 p8
Beetley
Thomas HALL, 55, ag.lab, bn Nfk
Sarah Hall, 55, bn Nfk
Elizabeth Hall, 19, bnseveral consecutive entries in a register - if the Vicar/Curate was being really helpful they sometimes have their respective ages/years of birth next to each entry.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage? Any Halls who also migrated with Robert whom you might loacte in Norfolk?

The 1851 census shows a Thomas Hall in Gressenhall workhouse:

HO107/1825 f254 p21
Gressenhall Workhouse
Thomas HALL, pauper, widr, 67, ag.lab, bn Beetley

10 years earlier:

HO107778/02 f6 p7 + f7 p8
Beetley
Thomas HALL, 55, ag.lab, bn Nfk
Sarah Hall, 55, bn Nfk
Elizabeth Hall, 19, bn Nfk
James Hall, 7, bn Nfk

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers
19-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Part 2

Going further into the possibility that Robert's parents moved around Norfolk for work, I had a look on the 1851 census for James and Elizabeth HALL, mentioned in the 1841 census. I think I may have found them:

HO107/1825 f398 p17
West Lexham Farm, West Lexham
James HALE OR HALL, Serv, Unm, 18, General Servant, bn Beeteley
Elizabeth HALE OR HALL, Serv, 26, Cook, bn Cawston

The entries for James and Elizabeth are listed twice, once under the main farm and also in the same entry as the groom for the above farm, presumably they were lodiging in the groom's home.

However, this shows Elizabeth as being born in Cawston - some distance away from Beetley. Now if this is the same Elizabeth in 1841 and 1851 and her parents were Thomas + Sarah, could the parents have moved to other parishes some distance from Beetley?

On the Norfolk Transcription Archive
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
we have a Robert HALL son of Thomas + Sarah baptised 1817 at Colton. Now this could be just coincidence, Hall is a commonly occuring surname - however, it may be something you think is worth following up.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire