PDA

View Full Version : different lines tangled together

cateyanne
12-06-2007, 9:46 PM
In trying to connect my ancestors their British origins I have been given two conflicting lines of family from others who have also researched their family and are convinced this is the line from which my family has generated. I am in the states and cannot peruse the church records myself and since the family reused their given names over and over it is like trying to find a needle in a box of needles all with the same manufacturers name! What is the best way to untangle the mess? or am I destined to never know for sure? Thanks for any wisdom you can bestow!

uksearch
13-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Well I am sure someone on these forums is likely to offer you some advice. It would help if you could post details of names, locations and the time period you are looking at.

UK

ChristineR
14-06-2007, 4:13 AM
All you can really do is to start with yourself and go backwards - checking every bit of info yourself, so that you can see which supposed line you join. Perhaps you do not join either of them :D When you get to where these joins supposedly happen - look to see what sources are quoted by the researchers. All it takes is one person to make an error or an assumption and everything is out of whack.

You need to check all your US information before looking to the UK.

I am in the states and cannot peruse the church records myself

The Church of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) have microfilmed vast numbers of parish records which are available for viewing all over the world.

Look for guidance in GENUKI on what is available and where.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/

ChristineR

Peter Goodey
14-06-2007, 6:38 AM
I have been given two conflicting lines of family from others
And have these "others" provided references to sources? I bet they haven't. As Christine has pointed out, you really are going to have to do it yourself (or get someone else to do it for you).

See http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp to check what's available through the Mormons.