PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Census help please?

busyglen
07-06-2007, 6:16 PM
Would anyone be able to look up the 1851 Census for Northamptonshire for Hannah Dawes please? I found an Hannah Dawes on the 1841 in parish of Crich, Derbyshire aged 6 with Father shown as Thomas, and thought I had the right family, but having just received the marriage cert. of Hannah's marriage to Thomas Jones in Chelsea, it shows her father as Joseph a Blacksmith!!

I tried a search of the 1851 on Ancestry for Hannah Dawes, born 1835 +/- 5
with Father Joseph shown as head of household, and Hannah as daughter. I put in Derbyshire as place of birth, as on the 1861 Census where she is shown with hubby Thomas, and two children, she said she was born in Derbyshire. Apart from the usual hits, there was one came up with Father Joseph, but this was in Northamptonshire. As there are so many ifs and buts with this Jones/Dawes family, I cannot at this stage rule it out, so I would be grateful if someone can check the family details for me. I don't subscribe to Ancestry, so would appreciate any help.

Glenys

sally
07-06-2007, 6:54 PM
Hi Glenys, is this the one you mean.

1851 - HO107/1742 f57 pg2 Guilsborough, Northamptonshire.
DAWES all born Guilsborough, Northamptonshire
Joseph, Head, Widr, 51, Ag Labourer
John, Son, Unm, 28, Ag Labourer
Hannah, Dau, Unm, 17, Housekeeper for her Father
William, Son, 14, Errand Boy

Regards
Sally

sally
07-06-2007, 7:41 PM
Perhaps not this family Glenys as I have tracked Joseph on the 1841, 1861 & 1871 and his occupation is always given as an Ag Lab.

Regards
Sally

busyglen
08-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Thank you for looking Sally, but I don't think that this can be the right one. As you say, he was an Ag Lab for the other Censuses. The marriage was in 1856, and unfortunately it didn't give an age for her or Thomas....it just said `Full' for the age.
According to the 1861 Census, she was shown as 29, but I'm not sure if this was correct, as I haven't seen the actual entry, so it could have been a transcription. Plus she gave her place of birth as Derbyshire.

Goodness only knows where she came from....I'll have to try the Derbyshire list to see if I can get any nearer.

Thank you Sally for your help, it's much appreciated. :)

Glenys