PDA

View Full Version : Who did Isaac Neale marry, Tyler or Brown?

Bill N
19-11-2004, 3:53 AM
Hello Listers,

I have a problem of sorts. I received a birth certificate for my GG Grandfather Charles Isaac Neale (I think this is him) Birth date 8/6/1849, Saint Mary Magdalen Bermondsey Surry.

Father Isaac Neale Laborer, Mother Elanora Maria Caroline Neale (formerly Tyler) Address: 2 Croft Street, Bermondsey.

The 1861 & 1871 Census shows Caroline Neale (widow) living with her son Charles and her Mother Elizabeth Brown (widow)

My question is: Did Isaac marry Caroline Tyler Or Caroline Brown ? how do I find out? where can I start looking?

Can some have a look for me on the 1851 Census for London and see if Isaac also known as Henry was living with Caroline and were there any other children.

Any help on solving the above will be appreciated as I can't seem to get my mind around who is who and where I should be looking.

Many thanks

Bill N Australia

Ken Boyce
19-11-2004, 5:14 AM
Hi Bill
I was unable to locate Croft St in the 1851 Census Street Index or in the 1851 Kelly's Street Directory Without an address it will be difficult to locate the image

Did mother Tyler remarry a Brown
I'm not sure of my facts here but (formaly) could mean Caroline was previously married

Bill N
19-11-2004, 6:29 AM
Many thanks,

I am sure the Caroline in the census returns is the correct Person, which leads me to believe that her Mother Elizabeth Brown has re married.

Charles Isaac Neale was listed as 11 years 1861, which gives the birth certificate of 1849 some credence, so, I will need to look for Caroline Tyler.

I note she was 27 years of age when Charles was born, so there may have been other children from another marriage? guess work again. Thank you for your insight.

Kind regards

Bill N

Bill N
19-11-2004, 6:41 AM
Thanks Ken,

It mat be so as Caroline was 27 when Charles was born which is getting on a bit in the 1850's. There is talk of other children being sent to Australia but no facts to go on.

Is there any way of checking who lived at 2 Croft or Crofs St Bermondsey ? Perhaps the spelling needs a review as it would seem the Birth certificate is quite clear.

Again thanks for taking an interest

Kind regards

Bill N

Ken Boyce
19-11-2004, 6:03 PM
A labourer would likely be in rented digs and any directory listing for the address would be in the name of he principle tenant or Landlord
However I rechecked the 1851 Directory for Cross St there are number listed south of the river but it is difficullt to quickly determine which civil district they are in.

At #16 Cross St off of Blackfriers Rd there is a John NEAL Coal Merchant - but I think this is to far west of the old district 28

Bill N
19-11-2004, 8:33 PM
Thanks Ken,

Any chance Elizabeth Brown or Tyler were living there a 2 Cross St ? This is Isaac's mother in law we think.

We think Eleanor Maria Tyler is listed in free BDM V 4 / 281 Lambeth 1846 as marrying Isaac Neale , I can't get any results other than Isaac Neale however a lister on another search site has confirmed the listing.

It looks as if I will need to order a certificate to see who he actually married.

Regards

Bill