PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeships in Wales

busyglen
26-05-2007, 3:07 PM
I'm back on my old chestnut trail of Jones, and am really clutching at straws!

Edward Jones was born c.1804 in Denbighshire according to Census records.

He married in Hackney, Middlesex in 1830 and at that time was a Scalemaker.
He was found in several trade directories in London up until his death in 1864 where he was shown as a Master Scalemaker.

With no other clues as to his actual place of birth, I searched the NA for possible Scalemaker clues, but nothing positive. I looked at the Soc. of Genealogists catalogue for details of Apprenticeships but they appear to only go up to 1810. There is a section for 1641 - 1888 of some of the original Indentures, but I don't know whether they relate just to England, or include Wales. As everything is so vague, I don't really know what to do for the best,.....probably give up! I am stuck in that I can't get to London to search, so don't really know where else to look.

My question really is `what age would a lad start in an apprenticeship, during that period?'

I suspect (maybe incorrectly) that he was apprenticed in Wales, unless his family moved to London when he was a child......would that type of occupation have been the sort of thing to have gone into in Wales? It's quite possible I suppose that his father also was a Scalemaker, as Edward's son Thomas, also went into that trade. Does anyone know if this trade existed in Wales around the early 1800s?

Glenys

Ladkyis
26-05-2007, 7:59 PM
masters in various guilds and trades took apprentices from all over the place. If the parents could afford it they would get their son apprenticed to someone with a reputation for excellence. I believe that the usual age for apprenticeship was about 14 but there were always exceptions to the rule.

I feel for you with a JONES to look for.

Ann

busyglen
27-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks Ann, I thought it was about 15.....being in Wales, you more than anyone would know how difficult it is looking for a JONES!! It's such a pity that the 1841 didn't allow for actual POB, and the 1851 only gave County.

I guess I am destined never to solve this puzzle, but I will keep on digging where I can. Hey, someone, someday, may be looking for his son Thomas, so I'll go back to that trail, which might give me some clues.

Glenys