PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Cutting - announcements

mary elms
21-05-2007, 3:56 PM
I was reading one of the old theology books on my shelf when a number of pieces of paper dropped out. They were newspaper articles from the 1900s & 1920s - Public Opinion, Life of Faith, The Glasgow Herald and a cutting with the header removed. Each one is fascinating in it's own way but it's the last of these (typical |shakehead) which might provide some helpful information to someone out there one day. Along with the article is the Announcements column of the paper. There's a Silver wedding announcement for a couple who were married in June 1880 which at least gives a year for the paper - 1905. The address given for announcements for future editions is Hodder & Stoughton 27 Paternoster Row.

Most of them are clergy or the relations of clergy. Anyway, just in case one day they're any use, here they are ....

mary elms
21-05-2007, 3:58 PM
GORE - On the 8th inst., at 2 Woodlands terrace, South Shields, the wife of James Gore, Collector of His Majesty's customs, Waterford, of a son.

mary elms
21-05-2007, 4:09 PM
MESTON - BUTCHART At Mather's Hotel, Dundee, on the 9th June, by the father of the bride, assisted by the Rev. Andrew Laing, Lochmaben, brother-in-law of the Bride, and the Rev. P. A. Gordon Clark, Perth, the Rev. Wm. Murray Meston, North Yell United Free Church, Shetland, to Mima Stewart Bradford, daughter of the Rev. Jas. S. Butchart, New Leeds United Free Church, Aberdeenshire.

PROVIS - WILCE On the 1st inst., at St Paul's Church, Withington, by the Rev. Wm. Muzzell, rector, assisted by the Rev. J Clapham Greaves, Wesleyan minister, Harold Bertram, youngest son of Charles Wm Provis, to Alice Gertrude, youngest daughter of John Wilce, both of Rathen road, Withington.

SAMUEL - EWING June 8th, by special licence, at clifton Park Congregational Church, Belfast, by the Rev. James Ervine, Bloomfield, assisted by the Rev. H. T. Potten, Whiteabbey, Rev. W. Arthur Samuel, of Mayers Green Congregational Church, West Bromwich, and only son of W. H. Samuel, leighton Buzzard, to elizabeth (Lillie), second daughter of Samuel Ewing, Erin View, Clifton Park avenue, Belfast.

mary elms
21-05-2007, 4:13 PM
JONES FOSTER June 10th, 1880, at the Congregational Church, Red Lion street, Boston, by the Rev. I. Thomas, John Jones (pastor of the Congregational Church, Bakewell, and now of Southwold), to Eliza (Lizzie) Foster, only daughter of Mr. Joseph Foster, of New Bollingbroke, Lincolnshire.

mary elms
21-05-2007, 4:16 PM
MACLEOD At 9, Warrender Park terrace, Edinburgh, on the 7th inst., Norman Macleod, Bookseller, 25, George IV. Bridge, Edinburgh.

WES*censored**censored**censored**censored*ER At Liaoyang, Manchuria, on April 23rd, of typhus, Ethel Margaret, wife of Dr. Alexander Wes*censored**censored**censored**censored*er, L.R.C.P. and S., and daughter of Rev. J. W. Coombs, of Nice.

OK - the censor has gone overtime here. the word in question is W.E.S.T.W.A.T.E.R. which doesn't help you if you're using the search feature!

ElaineMaul
21-05-2007, 5:59 PM
I have obviously led a very sheltered existence ;)

What on earth is wrong with that word that the censor gives it the chop?

(And ....... although those details don't match with any of my folks .............. thanks for posting them)
Elaine

ElaineMaul
21-05-2007, 6:00 PM
Ah ...... |blush| ........ just worked it out!!!

DOH !!!
Elaine

Pam Downes
21-05-2007, 10:29 PM
That's a rare assortment of place names, Mary. (And a mention for Boston, too!)
What now intrigues me is - are all the people connected? If so, I'd say they must belong to Mythology because his lot end up all over the place. :D
Pam

Mythology
21-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Oi!
Less of that, madam - just get cracking on transcribing that 1870 census of Peru for me, OK? ;)

(This latest branch are very boring - the girl hasn't gone further than from Wotton-under-Edge, Glos., to Halifax, Yorks., in about thirty years - stopping at Reigate, Surrey, to get married, of course - no spirit of adventure at all...)

mary elms
22-05-2007, 5:26 AM
Mmm - a rare assortment of places indeed, Pam. The only connection I can see is that most of them seem to be ministers or pastors in the Congregational Church. I guess, therefore, that this must be a national Congregationalist paper. The piece of paper is physically too big to be Life of Faith Which also made me realise that, if one could get hold of copies, a lot of our problems about tracing clergy all over the country would be solved by reading the appropriate monthly or quarterly rag for their denomination. My mother still gets the Methodist Recorder largely for the announcements section and the obituaries!

Elaine - the censor's a bit mad sometimes! It took me a few minutes to work out too.

Mythology - they're still more adventurous than one of my husband's families, whose idea of adventure was to move from Friday Street in Surrey to Dorking!

Mary.

mary elms
22-05-2007, 5:50 AM
Another interesting question is - Who collected all those newspaper cuttings? The book comes from my Grandfather's library but 1905 is too early for him (he was but a bairn), he was a Wesleyan and not a Congregationalist, and Glasgow (or in detail Moffat) is where he ended up (via China, England & Kenya) not where he started - that was in Woolwich, London. He did spend some time as pastor of the Church of Scotland kirk in Moffat when their minister died (well after he'd "sat down" (retired) from active ministerial work. He was a true ecumenist so I suppose the book was a gift from someone's library. He certainly wouldn't have worried about a little thing like denominations

Mary.