PDA

View Full Version : Agnes Irvine from Kirkwhelpington

birdlip
15-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have easy access to the Newcastle Central Library, Local Studies Dept? Or some other access to the Kirkwhelpington church records anyway. I'm hoping someone may be able to do a lookup for me.

Agnes Irvine from Capheaton, in the Kirkwhelpington parish, died late 1858 or early 1859, aged abt 81. I'm trying to find out her place of birth, and hoping there may be a monumental inscription, or burial entry, that says something more than 'Scotland', which is all it says in the 1841 and 1851 census entries!

I'd be very grateful for any help at all on this. I'm really stuck.
Regards, Birdlip

DebbieAnn
15-05-2007, 2:24 PM
ScotlandsPeople lists an Agnes Irvine born 2 Aug 1781 in Fetteresso, Kincardine to Robert Irvine (mother's name not given). Sound about right? Original reads: Robt Irvine in Glentown had a child baptized named Agnes. Witts: James Irvine & George Duncan both of Glentown.

Immediately above this record is a child James born to James Irvine...

Debbie

DebbieAnn
15-05-2007, 2:35 PM
Other children listed as born to this Robert are: Euphemia, b: 22/12/1782; John, b: 22/ 02/1785; and Robert, b: 12/03/1787.

Debbie

DebbieAnn
15-05-2007, 2:52 PM
There is a marriage listed in Shapinsay, Orkney which reads: Robert Irvine was married with Jannet Hepburn the 7th Day of January 1780 years. A few lines above is a marriage for Magnus Irvine...

The only other possibility I can see is for Robert Irvine to Ann Haddon on 9 January 1781 in Cleish, Kinross, though there is a marriage of Robert Irvine to Catherine Brown in Stromness, Orkney on 5 May 1781...

Debbie

Edit: I looked on a map of the areas and logistically, the Kinross marriage seems the most likely...

birdlip
16-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi DebbieAnn,
nice to talk to you again, but I've led you up the garden path I'm afraid!

Because I was so focussed on asking for her burial/MI details, I didnt mention her maiden name was Thompson.....thats a lesson for me, sorry!

However, funnily enough, what you've found may well come in handy, because her husband William Irvine was born abt 1775 at Fetteresso. This is according to IGI, and I need to confirm it, because its in the Pedigree Resource file section, which I always think is particularly dodgy info.

In fact, Agnes Thompson is listed as his wife in the same entry, though she doesnt come up on the lists if you type in her name separately. They give her birth place as Kirriemuir, but again, it needs to be confirmed.

I thought I'd try asking for her death details on the Northumberland forum, I've posted on the Angus and Kincardinshire forums for help with their birth details, but no responses so far.

However, if you have access to parish records on Scotlands People, would you mind having another look for me?

Incidentally, the connection with the Rays from Salisbury turned out to be a red herring. These Rays were Londoners, and my Bolwells didnt meet them until the 1880's when they moved there. Are you still in contact with your new Australian cousins?

bye for now, Birdlip

DebbieAnn
16-05-2007, 2:06 AM
Yes, we email on the holidays, thanks for remembering! In the mail today, I got the order I placed for Scottish monument inscription books - I spent a small fortune! I don't have Kincardine, however, as I have no ancestors from there. You might order it online, and see what you can find - they're available through The Scottish Genealogy Society, and can be ordered online. You might just stumble on something interesting (perhaps your William may have paid for the monument to his parents, and you'll find them tied together that way, or find other Thompsons...) Best of luck!

Debbie

birdlip
16-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks anyway Debbie. I might do that, but I gasped looking at the cost of those books, a small fortune indeed!

best wishes, Birdlip

birdlip
16-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Any one else out there? I'm still crossing my fingers, thinking that maybe someone living locally in Northumberland may be able to access the Kirkwhelpington records directly.

regards Birdlip