PDA

View Full Version : Evans and Morris

vetsy
15-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I have the marriage certificate for my great grandparents, George Sydney Morris and Mary Elizabeth Evans.

They married at St Marys Church, Kidderminster on 21 October 1922. George was aged 23 (born 1899) residing at Bewdley, occupation miner. Mary was aged 19 (born 1903), residing at Silver Hill, occupation drawer.

My main interest is in the Evans family. Mary's father is listed as Richard Evans, also a miner. The witnesses were William John Evans who was Mary's older brother (and also the eldest child of the family) and Martha Jane Evans. I don't know how Martha is related as there is no child named Martha so unless it was William's wife I don't know.

Mary's mother was named Catherine (maiden name unknown).

I'm told the family originally came from Wales - Port Albert, Neath, Glamorgan.

The children of Richard and Catherine were Dickie (Richard?) Sam, Bill (William), Eddie (Edward?), Albert, Mary, Patty (Patricia) and Gladys. William served in WWI. I don't know their order of birth, again only that Bill was the eldest who served in WWI and that Mary was born in 1903.

I can find no record of Richard and Catherine or any of the children. My grandfather went to live with his grandmother Catherine when he was about 11-14 to look after her (which would have been around 1935-1940) and she was in her 60s-70s. She was still residing at Silver Hill in Kidderminster at this time which is up around the Horsefair/Blackwell Street end of town. Apparently there is a big roundabout there now where Silver Hill/Silver Street used to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Vetsy

Can anyone shed any light on this family at all? My grandfather is 82 and can't remember a great deal about his aunts and uncles.