PDA

View Full Version : DEVONSHIRE family of Long Buckby

Sue Mackay
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
If anyone has access to the records of Long Buckby, I am looking for the baptism (and possible marriage) of Susan(na) Elizabeth DEVONSHIRE. She was born in Buckby ca 1794 (parents unknown) and I have recently discovered she had siblings Martha (b ca 1792) Mary Ann (b ca 1799) and probably Abraham (b ca 1800). All of these siblings ended up in Dover, Kent, so it is possible that the whole family moved.

Susan(na) Elizabeth DEVONSHIRE was my 3 x great grandmother and married John Worrall CHANDLER, a shoemaker. Their first two children were baptised in Margate, Kent in 1813 and 1815, with ten further children being baptised in Dover St.Mary's. I have not found their marriage in Kent, so wonder if it took place in Long Buckby ca 1812.

I do not know whether John Worrall CHANDLER served an apprenticeship as a shoemaker in Northamptonshire and met Susan there, or whether her family moved to Kent.

Martha DEVONSHIRE married Thomas WHITE, another shoemaker, in Dover in 1821. Her place of birth on census returns is given as Long Buckby. She very obligingly, as I have just discovered, gave house room to 'nieces' on census nights, having apparently no children of her own. This has helped me prove that Susan's maiden name was DEVONSHIRE. Abraham DEVONSHIRE became a freeman of Dover (via apprenticeship as a painter, plumber and glazier) and the 1841 Dover census appears to have him born in county, but you can't always trust those Y/N squiggles. Unfortunately he died in 1850 aged 50, so I can't say for certain where he was born. He is undoubtedly connected to my family because my 2 great grandfather was apprenticed to him as a painter, plumber and glazier, and Abraham was a witness at several family weddings. Three of John and Susan CHANDLER's children had the middle name DEVONSHIRE.

Any pointers gratefully received.

wozzel
26-09-2009, 1:34 AM
long buckby baptisms
elizabeth devonshire daughter of richard/martha baptised on the 26th aug 1793 at church of england long buckby
martha devonshire daughter of richard/martha baptised on the 24th july 1791
at the same venue
mary devonshire daughter of richard/martha baptised on the 4th july 1789
at the same venue
thomas devonshire son of richard/martha baptised on the 17th feb 1788 at the same venue
the only abraham devonshire i can find was baptised in 1808 in byfield son of thomas/elizabeth

Sue Mackay
26-09-2009, 8:57 AM
Thank you so much wozzel. I had discovered these baptisms since my original posting, and am pretty sure that 'Elizabeth' is my Susanna Elizabeth, as the dates fit and her siblings all turned up later in Kent, but I cannot be 100% sure. The fact that Richard and Martha disappear from Northamptonshire makes me believe that the whole family moved to Kent, and that Abraham was born there. I think I was able to discount the Abraham born in Byfield as I believe he turned up later in the census. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Thanks once again for your interest.

janbooth
26-09-2009, 9:33 AM
Can't find Susanna/Elizabeth's marriage on the Northants Marriage Index, Sue, but I did find the following:

19 September 1786 at Long Buckby Richard DEVONSHIRE, otp, married Martha BOYES, otp, spinster, a minor with consent of parents, by license.

There is also a marriage at Long Buckby on 9 April 1760, by licence, of a Thomas BOYES, otp, Woolcomber, and Mary WALDEN, otp - perhaps Martha's parents?? Plus these other marriages at Long Buckby:

5 September 1725 (BT entry) John BOYS of Barby & Mary WATTS, otp
22 October 1787 by license Thomas BOYS, grazier, otp, bachelor & Sarah WADSWORTH, otp, spinster
3 December 1749 William BOYS & Mary HILL, otp

HTH

Janet

sue2white
26-09-2009, 11:19 AM
This site (http://www.northants1841.fsnet.co.uk/updates.html) is a bit of a mish mash, but you may find something of interest.

Sue :)

Sue Mackay
26-09-2009, 2:57 PM
Can't find Susanna/Elizabeth's marriage on the Northants Marriage Index, Sue, but I did find the following:

19 September 1786 at Long Buckby Richard DEVONSHIRE, otp, married Martha BOYES, otp, spinster, a minor with consent of parents, by license.

There is also a marriage at Long Buckby on 9 April 1760, by licence, of a Thomas BOYES, otp, Woolcomber, and Mary WALDEN, otp - perhaps Martha's parents?? Plus these other marriages at Long Buckby:

5 September 1725 (BT entry) John BOYS of Barby & Mary WATTS, otp
22 October 1787 by license Thomas BOYS, grazier, otp, bachelor & Sarah WADSWORTH, otp, spinster
3 December 1749 William BOYS & Mary HILL, otp

HTH

Janet

Thanks for the Thomas Boyes marriage. I had the marriage of Richard Devonshire to Martha Boyes sent to me and it was this that convinced me that I was on the right track, as the two of the Devonshire siblings in Dover gave their children the middle name of Boyes.