PDA

View Full Version : Wills

Boxergirl
10-05-2007, 10:52 PM
How do I go about finding a will for man called Ezekiel Evans Fear who died on the 13th of August 1865 late of Sherborne Dorset, I think he died in Yeovil.
I ask because my Father & his sister & brothers short birth certificates have been stuck on the back of this will I have no idea who this man is and how we have parts of his will in my family, the important bits of who got what are missing So can anyone tell me how do I go about tracing this will & where do I start.
Many Thanks

Peter Goodey
11-05-2007, 6:45 AM
All post 1858 probate records are with the Probate Service

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

If you want the postal service, write to York.

You can check for yourself whether a will/admon exists from the probate calendar - copies are available in most County Record Offices.

Geoffers
11-05-2007, 8:07 AM
I see that the 1861 census has

RG9/1360 f57 p50 sch.278
Abbey Street, Sherborne
Ezekiel Evans Fear, hd, mar, 50, Attorney, bn Bristol
Martha Fear, wf, mar, 48, bn Bristol
Emma Fear, dau, num, 24, bn Bristol
Edwin Fear, son, unm, 22, Attorney Articled Clerk, bn Bristol
Sophia Ingram, visitor, unm, 22, landed proprietor's daughter, bn Weymouth
Jane Hutchings, servt, unm, 25, general servant, bn (Fifehead??) Neville, Dorset

Any of them connected with your family, or were any of your ancestors in the legal profession? Do check the calendars to the probate records, they're easy to use.

Geoffers

Boxergirl
12-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Thank you so much for your help,Its all a bit of a mystery I have never heard of Mr Fear But cannot explain why my Dads birth cert was stuck to this will
How did he get it, was he left something in the will? I hope I can get a copy to see for myself. The plot thickens.
I see on the link you gave me I may be able to get some info on the will in the Bristol Office I will try as soon as I can & let you know the outcome.
Thank you again for your help.

Peter Goodey
12-05-2007, 6:15 AM
the Bristol Office
Not quite sure what you've got in mind. Bristol Record Office may have a copy. Bristol Probate Office may have a copy. I'd phone first if I were you.

Bristol Probate Office would be favourite because you can order a copy of the will there.

Wirral
17-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I had a look in the Probate Index:

"1865 September 7, FEAR Ezekiel Evans, Effects under £3000. The Will of Ezekiel Evans FEAR late of Sherborne Dorset gentleman deceased who died 6 August 1865 at 2 Ebenezer-row Middlestreet Yeovil in the County of Somerset was proved at PRINCIPAL REGISTRY by oaths of George Edward Fear of 72 Castle-street in the city of Bristol Furrier the Brother Edwin Fear of 4 Bristol-bridge Bristol aforesaid watch manufacturer and Daniel Fear of 4 Bristol-bridge aforesaid watch manufacturers the Executors."

I do not know the address of the Principal Registry, but I should think you can easily search for it.

Mythology
18-05-2007, 5:47 AM
Well, just for the record, the address is...
Principal Registry of the Family Division, First Avenue House, 42 - 49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP

But knowing that is not a lot of use unless you happen to be in London and, like me, order them over the counter there. They are not an Archive where you can wander in and look at the wills on film or whatever without buying them.

You can order the will over the counter at any of the District Registries listed on the web page that Peter gave the link to, or, as he said, if you want to do it by post, from the York address given on that page. However you do it, it's £5, just the same, so unless a local office is convenient, there is no advantage in going there to order it other than saving the cost of an envelope and stamp.

I use the Principal Registry at Holborn simply because it is the nearest place to me that has the National Probate Calendar. It does have the complete run, whereas local registries may not have all years, but other than that it's little different to a local registry - you go in, you look it up, you order it, that's that basically. They do offer a "reading copy" service, where you can get an "unsealed" copy over the counter in an hour, which I don't think is available at local offices (not sure about that), so if you were ever desparate to get hold of something right now it could be worth the journey, but it's basically just another office - if it wasn't my nearest one, or if I already knew that there was a will so didn't want to check the Calendar, I'd just write to York too.