PDA

View Full Version : Barker - Eyam - Look Up Please

Derek Atherton
08-05-2007, 8:20 PM
I'm trying to confirm the details of an IGI entry: Ada Mackal Barker Christened on 29 Apr 1855 at Eyam, Derbyshire. Mother Hannah Barker (no father named).

In the 1861 census she is aged 6 (born in Liverpool according to the census - though I have been unable to trace exact details of birth!) and was living in Cookers Yard Eyam with her grandmother Ann Barker a 54 year old Lead Miners Widow and her family.

Any help in confirming the details of the Cristening would be appreciated.

Derek

Jenjen
15-05-2007, 8:33 PM
Have you looked for her birth on the GRO. I took a look for an Ada Mackal Barker. Could only find 2- one in Ulverston- Ada Marian and one in Derby- Ada Eliza. Not Ada Eliza because she is easy to trace on the census. What is the Mackal in the name. I did not see that on the 1861 census. Maybe she was just christened Ada Barker- in which case there are many.
jen

Derek Atherton
21-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Jenjen,

Sorry for delay in response - I didn't get an alert!

I have been unable to track down any sort of GRO Reference for this lady!

The name appears on her marriage certificate (her mother Hannah stated as "Single Woman").

All census records show her as being born in Liverpool, though I have no other connections with the City.

I have had a number of suggestions as to the origin of the name (probably linked to unknown father!) but have nothing "concrete".

A double thick brick wall!

janbooth
22-05-2007, 9:25 AM
Derek,

Her birth may never have been registered. Have you considered the possibility that her mother Hannah may have died soon after her birth especially as she was living with her grandmother in the 1861 census. There is a death registration for a Hannah BARKER in the December qtr 1856 at Bakewell registration district (covers Eyam). Your best bet would probably be to order the Eyam parish registers (the baptisms go up to 1900 on film no 1752151) from your local LDS Family History Centre and look through them there to see if there is any extra information given on Ada in them.

Janet

Derek Atherton
22-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Janet,

Thank you for that - though I know Hannah actually married in 1857 - from my notes:

1857 - Free BMD Sep Q 1857 Bakewell 7b 777. Hannah Barker married William Frith on 30 Aug 1857 at Cliff Chapel Bakewell. William 23 was a Boot ?, resident in Eyam and father Samuel Frith was a Lead Miner. Hannah was 26, resident in Eyam and her father Luke Barker was a Wheelwright. Witnesses were Joseph Daniels and Ann Blackwell.

I guess it may have been "convenient" not to have the birth registered, but it was the Liverpool connection (amongst others) that confused(s) me

My original request for a "look-up" has not been fruitful - I will try your suggestion regarding the LDS FHC for that Film No 1752151 - many thanks for your help.

Derek

Jenjen
19-06-2007, 9:08 PM
If you don't have a chance to look at the film then maybe I could take a look at it this later this summer. I hope to be in Salt Lake City. Just send me the information by email if you want me to do this. Just as long as the search is not too involved.
Jen

Jenjen
23-08-2007, 8:12 PM
Just looked at the film and the information it gives is that Ada's mother was Hannah Barker and she was a spinster.
Anything more here you want me to look at? One more day at the family history library!
jen

Derek Atherton
24-08-2007, 3:51 PM
Jen,

Many thanks for that - much appreciated. (I didn't pick up on your message in Jun - no alert!)

I think with that I have come to "another" brick wall. Because the birth appears not to have been registered, I have no hope of getting any more information on the origins (particularly the date and exact location of birth) of my Ada Mackal Barker (though to all intents and purposes, Census details etc, she was born in Liverpool) - intriguing name though Mackal is - and I must now therefore concentrate on other parts of my tree - there are plenty to go at!

Again, many thanks for your efforts!

Regards,

Derek