PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes made on census re: Henry Brown

shelleyv
18-11-2004, 6:07 AM
Hi everyone I have fantastic news I finally found my Grandfathers birth certificate.|woohoo| I had found on the 1891 census, a family that was a possible, everything seemed to match, but the census's date was listed as April 2 1891.

The boy was listed as being a week or weeks old ( it was hard to read) . My grandfather's birthday was April 13 1891 after the census was done.

So naturally I thought this was the wrong family. The dates didn't match. Inside I just felt this was his family but how could it be? I took a chance and ordered this boy's certificate and guess what? BINGO, it's my grandfather. He was added later.

The question I have is did they do this ? add him later. Do they leave the form to be filled out with family and then they added him? How could this happen? Who knows about these things?

Thank goodness I went on a Hunch because all the names were correct . His Birth Certificate I ordered , matched the house No. and street , and birthdate.

Sincerely
Shelley Vercillo (formerly Brown)

shelleyv
18-11-2004, 3:36 PM
Thank you very much for replying to my post.
My grandfather was registered May 27, 1891.So it is likely they could of lied about his birthdate.
Shelley

Ken Boyce
26-11-2004, 9:51 AM
Having piqued my interest would you post the census ref so we can all take a look at the original census log book entry

Guy Etchells
26-11-2004, 2:46 PM
Have you checked the enumerartor's returns?
Sometimes a census enumeration district was rechecked at a later date by a different person and the enumerators returns altered, this will show up as a diffrence in the script or writing.

If that is not the case then it could be either the Enumerator, Registrar or Superintendent Registrar made the addition entry as they transcribed or checked the transcription.
Cheers
Guy

shelleyv
26-11-2004, 4:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

RG 12-3184 Page 39 & 40

Shelley