PDA

View Full Version : Edwards in Hereford

Dolly
25-04-2007, 4:24 PM
My husband's great grandfather Henry Charles Edwards appears on the 1881 census living in Manchester, he gives hhis birthplace as Hereford, Herefordshire circa 1851/1852
I have traced him back to 1861 census living with his widowed mother and his siblings. they were then living in Kings Acre Road, Huntington, Hereford. The youngest sibling in 1861 was Lucy shown as 1 year old born Breinton, Hereford.
I have written to Hereford register office for the following certificates:
Marriage Lucy William to James Edwards 1851
Birth Henry Charles within the next two years
Death James Edwards 1859 to 1861

They have replied that they only have the marriage certificate. Does Brenton come under a different register Office?
By the way Lucy and, maybe, James were in Burghill in the 1851 census.

janbooth
26-04-2007, 9:35 AM
According to Genuki, both Burghill and Breinton come under Hereford Registration district. I have looked through the GRO Index for you as regards the birth registration of a Henry Charles EDWARDS. There is no Henry Charles registered in Hereford during the period 1851-55, but there is a Henry registered in Hereford in the September qtr 1854, volume 6a, page 405 who might be the correct one.

According to FreeBMD via Ancestry, there are 3 death registrations of a James EDWARDS at Hereford between 1858 and 1861 which could make chosing the correct one more difficult for you. You can order certificates online from www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/.

The other option is to check the parish registers for the burial record of James. The LDS have filmed both Breinton (parish registers) and Huntington (bishops transcripts) so you could order the films from your local LDS Family History Centre to be looked at there.

Hope this helps.

Janet

Dolly
26-04-2007, 5:29 PM
Thank you so much Janet
I had the GRO & freebmd info, I was surprised when I received the answer that there was nothing at Hereford. I might take myself off there for a day in June and look through the parish records myself