PDA

View Full Version : Charles Family

lindand
25-04-2007, 4:33 AM
My grandmother was LILY CHARLES, born Feb 19, 1889 in Leicester. Her father was Wm. Frederick Charles and I believe his wife was Jane Bradley. I have not been able to find out anything about the Charles' and any help would be very much appreciated.

Peter Goodey
25-04-2007, 6:00 AM
What a puzzling question. You say you haven't been able to find anything about them and you seem not to know her mother's name.

This must mean that you haven't got Lily Charles' birth certificate. This is your route to finding out.

peter nicholl
25-04-2007, 8:39 AM
Hi Lindand

As Lily was born in Leicester in 1889, I looked for her aged 2ish in the 1891 Census and found William F Charles, 27, Railway Checker, born Walesby, Lincs, Grantham; Jane, 27, born Walesby, etc; Lily, 2, born Leicester; and Joseph A, 10 months, born Leicester. The References are RG12 Piece 2533, Folio 95, Page 11. The address Tintern House, Burfield Street, Leicester.
FreeBMD shows the following marriage William Frederick Charles and Jane Bradley, registered in June Quarter 1888 at Grantham Vol 7a, Page 887.
It also lists births registered in the December Quarter 1863 in Grantham of Jane Bradley Vol 7a, Page 414 and William Frederick Charles Vol 7a, Page 418.
HTH
Peter

peter nicholl
25-04-2007, 7:13 PM
Hi Lindand
|oopsredfa It was only after my earlier message that I thought "Hang on, Walesby? Grantham?" Walesby is North of Lincoln, a stone's throw from the Lincolnshire Show Ground, so what's with Grantham?
I looked at the 1871 Census and found the following in WELBY, near Grantham:
Jane Bradley, 7, born Welby. Her parents were Joseph, 40, no occupation shown; Marian, 36, wife, born Great Gonerby; Jane's siblings and Dad were all born in Welby. Other children were,Sarah A, 12; John, 10; Mary, 5; Elizabeth, 2; and 4 month old twins, Maria and John. Also there was Joseph's Dad, John, widower, 78, former Ag Lab.

Also in Welby: William F Charles, 7, born Welby (as were the rest of the family). His parents were Joseph, 35, Ag Lab; Sarah, 33, wife. Brothers and sisters were, Eliza, 12; Caroline, 10; Harriet, 8; Charlote J?, 5; Elizabeth, 4; Clara, 1. Also there was Joseph's mother, Ann, 57, widow, Laundress, born Woolsthorpe.

I've looked at the 1881 Census and it looks as though that too has transcription errors.

Peter

lindand
03-05-2007, 4:52 AM
Thanks so much for the information! Mom thought that her grandmother's name was Jane Bradley, but I had not been able to find any evidence. I should be able to get past my brick wall now.

Just out of curiosity - where are Welby and Woolsthorpe in relation to Leicester? (I live in Canada)

Lindand

tony vines
05-05-2007, 7:13 PM
Lindand

Try this link and then enter the names in the search box. You will find them either side of Grantham, Lincolnshire, north-east of Leicester

http://maps.google.co.uk/

John B
14-07-2007, 2:44 PM
Hi Lindand, we have new neighbours here at Frisby on the Wreake, Leicestershire, UK.

The gentleman in question is Roy Walton who is a great grandson of William Frederick Charles and Jane Bradley.

Roy and family would be pleased to make contract to exchange details etc , if you are interested?

John Billings - Frisby Historical Society.

lindand
22-08-2007, 2:29 AM
Hi John B.
I would love to have contact with Roy Walton! What do I need to do?

lindand
25-10-2007, 3:11 AM
I'm guessing John Billings hasn't been back to this thread, so if anyone knows John or his neighbor Roy Walton could you let them know I would love to hear from them!