PDA

View Full Version : Clements

Daphne
17-11-2004, 8:02 PM
I'm searching for descendants of the Clement/Clements family from the villages of Bow, Down St Mary, Morchard Bishop and Zeal Monachorum.

Are there any other members looking for this family?

Daphne

barlews
09-02-2005, 2:42 PM
Hi Daphne
We meet again, still struggling with my Heard family, but have at last been in touch with Kieron so if you want to contact him let me know.
Barbara

Daphne
27-04-2005, 8:20 PM
Hi Barbara
I haven't made amy further progress with my Heards. I would like to contact Kieron.
Daphne

arishmell
02-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi Daphne,

Your post caught my eye as I browsed the forum. I have a couple of Clements relatives from Down St Mary:

William Clements (b. around 1840), married to Mary Ann Slee, whose son William Henry Clements (b.1871) married my great-aunt Jessie Pike.

Maria Clements (b. around 1839) whose relationship is confused - there is an awful lot of intermarriage between Clements, Slees and and Gills around there!

I also have Horwills in Down St Mary and Morchard Bishop, one married to a Gill from Down St Mary.

If any of these are of interest, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Maureen

Daphne
02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi Maureen

I would love to hear from you re the Clements in Down St Mary. They are a very confusing lot all round. There seem to be 2 William Henrys born around 1871, both of them the son of a William. The 1891 census shows a William H Clements, aged 20, born in South Wonford living in Exeter with his wife Jessie. This William is a bricklayer

The 1901 census also shows a William Clements aged 31 born in Exeter living in Exeter with his wife Elizabeth. This William is a chemist.

There is a third William born about 1872. He is in the 1891 census but he's in the Workhouse, and is shown as being An Idiot!

If you have anything that would nail down the Williams I'd love to hear from you. Have you bought any marriage certs for any of them?

As you say, there does also seem to be a lot of intermarriages between the Slees, Gills and Clements.

Daphne

arishmell
03-05-2005, 9:30 PM
Hi Daphne

I've been having a problem posting a reply, and I've been advised to keep it short, so I'll try that. No, I haven't got any certificates so far, but the census info ties it down for me.

Let's see. I have William Clements, born around 1840 in Down St Mary, in the 1881 census at Railway Cottages, St David's, Exeter. He is a railway signalman. He is married to a Mary Ann, born 1843, from Down St Mary. Their oldest child is Emma Slee Clements (1865), which leads me to believe that Mary Ann is a Slee, and a marriage is recorded between William Clements and Mary Ann Slee Q2 1864, Exeter 5b/151.

Their other children are William Henry Clements (1871, Wonford); Richard Clements (1873, Exeter); and Eliza Jane Clements (1877, Exeter).

arishmell
03-05-2005, 9:37 PM
2/3

You have the 1891 census. I don't know where William Henry is in 1901, but Jessie is in Plymouth at 2 Trefusis Cottages, Chudleigh Road. She has 5 children: Ethel (1891, Exeter); Elsie (1897, Plymouth) who in 1901 is with her Pike grandparents in Exeter; William (1898, Plymouth); Alfred (1899, Plymouth); and Beatrice (1900, Plymouth). Jessie's younger sister Lillian Pike (another of my great-great-aunts) is staying with them so I'm sure of the identification. Despite all those very young children Jessie is working as a charwoman which suggests a change of circumstances. Could William Henry have had an accident at work, or be in prison?

arishmell
03-05-2005, 9:38 PM
3/3

That's about as much as I've got so far. I collected the Clements in connection with the Pikes, my mother's mother's father's family, and as there were 12 Pike children in that generation you can imagine how many relatives by marriage I've got to research! I'd be interested in any info you've got on this branch.

Maureen

Daphne
04-05-2005, 9:09 PM
Hi Maureen

Thanks for your e-mails. I also found the 1881 census with William and Mary Ann nee Slee living is Exeter. They were married on 15 April 1864 at St Mary Arches, Exeter. William is the son of Richard and Mary Ann is the daughter of Richard as well. We agree on that.

What I haven't gone on to do is pin down the marriages of all of their children. Buying certs gets expensive. However, I do know they had a further daughter, Roasanna who married Harry Cobley Cornwall 9 July 1891 %message=Hi Maureen

Thanks for your e-mails. I also found the 1881 census with William and Mary Ann nee Slee living is Exeter. They were married on 15 April 1864 at St Mary Arches, Exeter. William is the son of Richard and Mary Ann is the daughter of Richard as well. We agree on that.

What I haven't gone on to do is pin down the marriages of all of their children. Buying certs gets expensive. However, I do know they had a further daughter, Roasanna who married Harry Cobley Cornwall 9 July 1891 (cert bought). Richard married Mabel Tolley, and his sister Eliza Jane married Archibald Tolley.

However, William's marriage has eluded me until now. There were so many William Clements around the Exeter area. I shall try looking for Jessie and William in the 1891 census.

Lastly, I think Emma Slee Clements died a spinster in 1946 in Exeter. Her death cert is on my Wanted List. I want to know who registered her death.

Daphne

tclements
27-04-2006, 4:11 AM
Hi
I need to know if anyone on this forum has information on a Peter Clements who was born in Exeter probably between 1810 and 1825. He moved to Liverpool while still a young man and married there. He is my great, great grandfather and I am trying hard to make a connection to his original family. Thanks for any help anyone might offer.
Terry Clements
Vernon, B.C.
Canada